Understanding the Process
FINANCIAL AID TIMELINE
1. Complete Your FAFSA (Free Application For Student Aid).
- Next Year’s FAFSA becomes available to students and their families on October 1 on fafsa.ed.gov
- Use SBU Federal School Code 002838
2. Once we receive your FAFSA we will send you an email confirmation.
3. If we need any additional information we will create a To Do List item, which you can view on your SOLAR homepage.
- Most requested ToDo List Items are uploadable directly to us via SOLAR – directions will be provided in the ToDo List Item text.
- Items uploaded via SOLAR are typically processed 10 business days sooner than those sent to us or delivered to us in person
4. Financial Aid Awarding and Notification Begins:
- Medical and Dental Students – Late June
- Graduate and Professional Students – Late June
5. A ToDo List Item will be assigned and viewable in SOLAR informing you that your awards are ready to view/accept.
6. Accepted financial aid will appear as anticipated aid against your University bill, with the exception of estimated awards and Federal Work Study.
7. Financial aid will disburse directly into your student account. Financial aid disbursed in excess of University charges will result in a student refund.