Financial Aid Timeline
- Complete Your FAFSA (Free Application For Student Aid)
Complete Your ETA (Express TAP Application) – IF YOU ARE NOT A NY STATE RESIDENT SKIP TO STEP 3
- Next Year’s FAFSA becomes available to students and their families on October 1 on
- Use SBU Federal School Code 002838
Once we receive your FAFSA we will send an email to your confirming that we have your
- Your FAFSA application will be sent to HESC (NY State Higher Education Services).
- There will be a link directing you to the HESC website at the end of your submitted
- If you miss the link, NY State Higher Education Services will send you an e-mail several
days after your FAFSA submission, inviting you to complete your ETA.
- Be sure to add SBU state school code to your ETA - 0875
- You can check your status at www.hesc.ny.gov
If we need any additional information we will create a ToDo List item, which you can
view on your SOLAR homepage
Financial Aid Awarding and Notification Begins:
- Most requested ToDo List Items are uploadable directly to us via SOLAR – directions
will be provided in the ToDo List Item text.
- Items uploaded via SOLAR are typically processed 10 business days sooner than those
sent to us or delivered to us in person.
A ToDo List Item will be assigned and viewable in SOLAR informing you that your awards
are ready to view/accept.
- Undergraduate Freshmen – Early March
- Undergraduate Transferes (Non Health Science) – Early March
- Health Science Students – Mid June
- Medical and Dental Students – Mid June
- Graduate and Professional Students – Mid June
- Continuing Undergraduate Students – Mid June
- New Spring Admits – Mid November
Accepted financial aid will appear as anticipated aid against your University bill,
with the exception of estimated awards and Federal Work Study.
Financial aid will disburse directly into your student account. Financial aid disbursed
in excess of University charges will result in a student refund.