10 CFR Part 810, the Assistance to Foreign Atomic Energy Activities (AFAEA) is promulgated and implemented by the Department of Energy (DOE) and regulate technology and services related to direct or indirect production of Special Nuclear Materials. Licensing is through the National Nuclear Security Agency (NNSA).
10 CFR Part 110 is promulgated and implemented by the Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) and regulate major hardware, components, and nuclear material.
Quick Facts 10 CFR Part 810
- Special Nuclear Materials means plutonium, uranium-233, or uranium enriched above 0.711 percent by weight in the isotope uranium-235.
- Activities are either out of scope (not subject to 10 CFR Part 810), generally authorized, or require specific authorization.
Quick Facts 10 CFR Part 110
- Imports and exports of major and minor reactor equipment. “Nuclear Reactor” is defined as items within or attached directly to the reactor vessel and specially designed or prepared.
- Controls include software.
- General and specific licenses.