Professor and Graduate Program Director (CME)
M.Sc. and Ph.D., Appl. Chemistry, U. of British Columbia, Canada
RESEARCH INTEREST– LOW CARBON ENERGY
Energy Policy Issues; Low Carbon Energy technology development and Implementation: Energy Research at the Chemical Engineering/Chemistry Interface– Clean Fuel production technologies complementing CO2 mitigation utilizing Methane hydrates, Methane and Biomass for catalytic methanol, mixed alcohols and hydrocarbon Fischer-Tropsch (F-T) synthesis; ultra-deep hydrodesulfurization (HDS); extremophiles-mediated H2-production for fuel-cell applications; Geothermal energy-minerals extraction from brines.
- Marie Curie Senior Researcher, 2013-17, Joint NSF-European Commission Project
- Jefferson Science Fellow, 2011-12, Department of State, Washington, DC
- Outstanding Mentor Award. Energy Secretary, Office of Science, United States Department of Energy. 2009 and 2007.
- Associate Editor- Bioenergy, Journal of Renewable and Sustainable Energy (JRSE), American Institute of Physics. 2009- Present
- 2008 Member, Editorial Board, The Open Petroleum Journal, BENTHAM Science Publishers, Ltd.
- 2007 Member, Editorial Board, International Journal of Oil, Gas and Coal Technology.
- 2007 Outstanding Mentor Award, Office of Science, United States Department of Energy
- 2007 University Visiting Professor Fellowship, Universitá di Roma “La Sapienza”, Roma, Italy
- 2006 Member, Russian Academy of Natural Sciences (RANS)-US Section.
- 2006 Recipient of the “Crown and Eagle Medal of Honor”, awarded by RANS for “Petroleum Engineering”.
- 2006 Recognition of SBU “Artists, Authors, and Editors” by the University President.
- 2006 Featured in Brookhaven Bulletin (09/22/06 issue) for a lead article on “Overcoming the Challenges of Developing A Hydrogen Economy”.
- 2006 Recognition by the BNL-EENS Directorate for the “New Program Development”, External Award” and “Symposium Organization” in Energy .
- 2005 Promising Inventor’s Award, State University of New York
- Ph.D. in Applied Chemistry, 1979, University of British Columbia, Canada.
- M.Sc. (Hons.) in Applied Chemistry, 1976, University of British Columbia, Canada.
- B.Sc. (Honors) in Chemistry, 1972, Panjab University, India.
- Professor (with Tenure), Materials Science & Engineering Department, Stony Brook University, 2007-
- Research Professor, Materials Science & Engineering Dept., Stony Brook U., 2002-2007.
- Scientist, Brookhaven National Laboratory, 1988-
- Associate Scientist, Brookhaven National Laboratory, 1985-1988.
- Assistant Scientist, Brookhaven National Laboratory, 1983-1985.
- Adjunct Professor,Dept. of Chemical Engineering University of Akron, Ohio, 1991-1993.
- Adjunct Faculty,The City University of New York, New York, 1983-1989.
- Project Consultant, Master's Program, MIT Chemical Engineering Practice School- BNL Station. 1985-1988.