Admission to the Master's Program
The requirements for admission to masters study in this department include:
- A bachelor’s degree in engineering, natural sciences, social sciences, mathematics, or a closely related area from an accredited college or university.
- A minimum undergraduate grade point average of 3.0;
- Three letters of recommendation;
- If your native or primary language is not English, a TOEFL or IELTS examination is required. The minimum score for TOEFL is 85 and for IELTS an overall score of 6.5 with no subsection below 6.
- A Personal Statement (Statement of Purpose) describing your relevant past experience and immediate and long-term goals.
- Applicants with domestic credentials must submit an official transcript from each college or university attended, regardless of whether a degree was conferred.
- Applicants with international credentials must submit an official English translation of all coursework showing a complete course-by-course record, GPA, degree, and institution, in addition to the original documents. In some instances where the coursework, degree equivalency, GPA, and/or institution cannot be verified, a course-by-course evaluation from one of Stony Brook University's approved NACES members listed below, may be requested from the applicant: World Education Services (WES), International Education Evaluations, Inc (IEE), Education Credential Evaluators (ICE).
All official transcripts must be sent to the address listed below.The Graduate School Stony Brook University 2401 Computer Science Building Stony Brook, New York 11794-4723 (631) 632-4723 Email: email@example.com https://www.stonybrook.edu/grad/ Official E-Transcripts: email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Master's Program Deadlines
Fall 2024 Admission
Domestic application deadline July 3, 2024
International application deadline May 5, 2024
Spring 2024 Admission
Domestic application deadline December 5, 2023
International application deadline October 17, 2023
Summer 2024 Admission (Domestic Students Only)
Domestic application deadline April 19, 2024
Appropriate courses taken in non-matriculated status may be applied towards the M.S. degree in Technological Systems Management, however, no more than 12 credits taken in non-matriculated status can be applied to the credit requirements for the M.S degree.
1. What is the deadline for my Supporting Documents? (those not uploaded in the Graduate School’s online application system)
All supporting documents, including the English Proficiency test scores, must be received by the application deadline. There are no exceptions to this requirement. English Proficiency test scores must be submitted to Stony Brook University (School Code: 2548) by the application deadline in order for your application to be reviewed.
2. I was educated in an English- speaking environment. Do I still need to take the TOEFL or the IELTS exam?
The answer depends on the amount of time you were educated in English and whether you consider English as a native or primary language. For more details, please see our Graduate School’s web site or contact Marypat Taveras.
3. Do you offer financial support to Graduate students?
The department does not offer support to master’s students, however, in special circumstances, financial support may be possible if our budget allows.
4. How do I write my Statement of Purpose?
Your statement of purpose should be 1 to 3 pages in length and include your relevant past experience, immediate and long goals and what you hope to accomplish with a master’s degree.
5. What do you look for when reviewing my application?
Our admissions committee considers your overall academic performance, your statement of purpose, and work experience. We take a holistic approach when evaluating applications. The committee seeks to determine whether you are likely to be successful in our courses. The application process takes up to 3 weeks before we make formal offers of admission.
6. What is the cost of tuition?
Information about Stony Brook University’s cost of graduate tuition can be found on the Bursar’s web site and at this website. Tution and fees are subject to change without notice. Please visit these sites to check for the current tution and fee charges.