Admission to the Master's Program
The requirements for admission to masters study in this department include:
- A bachelors degree in engineering, natural sciences, social sciences, mathematics, or a closely related area from an accredited college or university. For admission to the M.S., students who elect to take a block of elective courses within the Energy and Environmental Systems and the Energy, Technology, and Policy focus areas will need to have completed prerequisite courses of one year of calculus (MAT 131, 132 or equivalent).
- A minimum undergraduate grade point average of 3.0;
- Three letters of recommendation;
- Graduate Record Examination (GRE) General Test scores; Stony Brook University’s school code is 2548, there is no separate code for the department. We do not accept photo copies of ETS scores.
- If your native or primary language is not English, a test to measure your English proficiency is required. The department and our Graduate School excepts TOEFL and IELTS examination scores http://grad.stonybrook.edu/admissions/admissions_faqs.php. The minimum score for TOEFL is 85 and for IELTS an overall score of 6.5 with no subsection below 6.
- A Statement of Purpose describing the applicant’s relevant past experience and immediate and long-term goals. Your statement of purpose must include your area of interest: Educational Technology, Global Technology Management, Energy and Environmental Systems and Energy, Technology, and Policy. ( Please state your area of interest at the top of the personal statement page.)
- All official transcripts, recommendation letters (those not uploaded in the Graduate School’s online application system), etc. must be sent to the Department of Technology and Society, College of Engineering and Applied Sciences, Stony Brook University, Stony Brook, NY 11794-4404, Attention: Masters Applicant Review Committee.
- Students applying to the Master’s Program in Technological Systems Management can complete an application online here.
In special cases, applicants who do not satisfy requirement 1 or 2 may be admitted on a conditional basis and may be subject to additional course requirements. Appropriate courses taken in non-matriculated status may be applied towards the M.S. degree in Technological Systems Management, however, no more than 12 credits taken in non-matriculated status can be applied to the credit requirements for the M.S degree.
Prospective M.S. students should follow the application deadlines listed below.
Fall 2020 Admission
- Technological Systems Management M.S. - Domestic student application deadline July 2, 2020
- Technological Systems Management M.S. - International student application deadline April 15, 2020
Spring 2020 Admission
- Technological Systems Management M.S. - Domestic student application deadline December 3, 2019
- Technological Systems Management M.S. - International student application deadline October 5, 2019
Spring 2021 Admission
- Technological Systems Management M.S. - Domestic student application deadline December 3, 2020
- Technological Systems Management M.S. - International student application deadline October 5, 2020
Summer 2020 Admission ( Domestic Students Only)
- Technological Systems Management M.S. - Domestic part-time student application deadline April 15, 2020
Advanced Graduate Certificate Programs in Educational Computing and Industrial Management
For admission to these certificate programs, students must have a bachelor’s degree and an undergraduate GPA of at least 3.0. Students with lower averages may be admitted in non-matriculated status that may be changed upon earning six or more graduate credits applicable to the Certificate with a GPA of 3.0 or higher.
Credits for Certificate program courses may be applied to requirements for the M.S. degree in Technological Systems Management subject to Graduate School rules and limitations; however, no more than 12 credits may be transferred.
Admission to the Advanced Graduate Certificate is handled by the School for Professional Development (SPD) http://stonybrook.edu/spd/