Holiday Help 2020
Stony Brook Food Pantry
Faculty, staff, and students may donate or receive food only when the pantry is open. The Pantry cannot pick up food donations.
SB Food Pantry Hours
CLOSED 12/21 - 12/27
Monday-Thursday, 8:30 AM - 7:00 PM
Fridays: 8:30AM - 2:00 PM
Closed weekends and holidays
The Suffolk County Department of Social Services partners with many community agencies to provide Holiday help for those in need. Particpants do not to be on any other DSS Program to participate.
Suffolk County Department of Social Services Locations:
Colonial Youth and Family Services
2 Coraci Blvd Unit 17C
Shirley, NY 11967
- Anyone in the William Floyd School District is able to seek assistance if they provide the necessary documentation. We require proof of address within the district we serve, identification for anyone in the household, as well as proof of income in the household.
Christmas sign up starts the Monday after Thanksgiving (Nov 30) at 8 am. After calling in and signing up they will go in for an interview to see what their specific needs are.
They give food, toys and clothes.
- There is no income requirement. (Thanksgiving registration is closed, but if people didn't show up for their appointment so they may have availability, Christmas registration starts Thursday after Thanksgiving week.)
Family Service League
790 Park Avenue
Huntington, New York 11743
Phone: (631) 427-3700
- Toys available for children up to 18 who live in Riverhead and the surrounding area. Deadline for registration is Nov 22. You will need proof of address and proof of family members (children) Medicaid Card, Report cards or Birth Certificate.
Bayshore Family Service League
1444 5th Avenue, Bayshore, NY.
- Toys available for children up to 18 who live in the towns of Islip, Babylon, and Smithtown. Pre-registration starts Nov 16. You will need proof of address and proof of family members (children) Medicaid Card, Report cards or Birth Certificate.
William Floyd Family Service League
1490 William Floyd Parkway, Shirley, NY 11967
Phone: (631) 924-3741
Serving surrounding area which includes Stony Brook.
- The phone number to register for toys starting Nov 16 is 874-1352. You will need proof of address and proof of family members (children) Medicaid Card or Report cards or Birth Certificate.
380 Lakeland Avenue, Sayville, NY 11782
New Life Community Church
Phone: (631) 589-5890
- Serve the church family and surrounding community by providing non-perishable foods.
- At Thanksgiving and Christmas, the Food Ministry provides families with the special holiday baskets.
1420 Union Blvd, Bay Shore, NY 11706 (Bay Shore/Islip)
Phone: (631) 665-1059
- Special holiday outreach (Thanksgiving and Christmas) offered.
- Thanksgiving dinner is served at 12 noon anyone can come, no registration needed.
- Christmas registration begins day after Thanksgiving and Bay Shore residents only (food baskets and toys for the families).
Gerald J. Ryan Outreach Center
1434 Straight Path
Wyandanch, New York, 11798
Phone: (631) 643-7591
FOOD PANTRY & CLOTHING ROOM
Monday-Friday, Mornings 9:15-11:45, Afternoons 1:30-2:45,
Throughout the Holiday program, Thanksgiving and Christmas food baskets are distributed to an average of 500 households.
Households that sign up in October receive holiday baskets in addition to their regular food pantry for November and December. Volunteers prepare the baskets so that they contain the necessary ingredients for a complete holiday dinner. The food is provided by the local food banks, area churches, schools, organizations and individuals.
Thanksgiving and Christmas, food and gifts are provided by St. Ann Parish in Garden City and St. John High School in West Islip, which support holiday food for many families.
What makes St. John’s High School (West Islip) and St. Ann Parish (Garden City) holiday program special is that for Christmas, our clients actually tell us what gifts they would like to receive (within reason) and they do their best to provide them.
Helping Hands Rescue Mission
225 Broadway, Huntington Station, NY 11746
Phone: (631) 351-6996
- Coordinates holiday meals and community events including free turkeys at Thanksgiving, meals, toys, and more. During the winter and Christmas season, free coats, mittens, sweaters, hats, scarves, socks, blankets, and gloves may be offered to adults and children in need.
- Thanksgiving assistance begins October 31, Christmas begins December 2.
1543 Montauk Hwy.
Bellport, NY 11713
Distribute turkeys for Thanksgiving to their outreaches.
Lighthouse Mission box trucks go out stocked with emergency food, clothes, and other necessities.
At each outdoor location, staff and volunteers unload and set up the boxes/bags of food/clothes/etc.
Long Island Council of Churches (631) 727-2210
40 Washington St.
Hempstead, NY, 11550
Tel: (516) 565-0290
Serves Nassau County residents only.
Long Island Cares, Inc. - Food banks across Long Island
10 Davids Drive (Harry Chapin Way)
Hauppauge, NY 11788-2039
Phone: (631) 582-FOOD
- Their member agencies are serving Thanksgiving meals on many days during November as well as Thanksgiving Day.
- They distribute food through a network of member agencies located in Nassau and Suffolk County, New York. Member agencies distribute food to individuals who need food assistance
- To locate a food pantry or assistance program in your area, search their directory by your zip code. Each listing will provide the agency's address, contact information, and service hours. They recommend calling first.
Our Daily Bread Food Pantry
St. James Church
429 Route 25A, Setauket, NY 11733
Phone: (631) 941-4141
The food pantry is open on Wednesdays 12-2 pm.
Every Sunday, from 2-3 pm, they serve 7 food items.
December 15, 2019, there will be a Christmas Party held in the Soup Kitchen. It starts at 3 but arriving earlier is recommended. Santa will be there with a gift for everyone. They also serve Christmas Dinner.
St. Thomas More Roman Catholic Church
115 Kings Highway, Hauppage, NY 11788
Phone: (631) 234-1199
- Holiday baskets and gifts, basic needs, advocacy, and more is offered.
St. Joseph's Church
45 Church Street, Ronkonkoma, NY 11779
Phone: (631) 981-1805
- Referrals and resource information include holiday assistance (both Christmas and Thanksgiving), soup kitchens, household items, and other support.
Patchogue Medford Youth and Community Services
390 Bay Avenue, Patchogue, NY 11722
Phone: (631) 758-4100
PMYCS provides Thanksgiving turkeys, food baskets and holiday presents to residents of the Patchogue-Medford Community.
Toys For Tots
Toy registration begins October 1. Deadline for requests - November 16
Town of Oyster Bay: (516) 624-6303 or (516) 624-6619
- This holiday toy drive, sponsored by the US Marine Corps, runs through December 15. Toys for Tots asks participants to donate new, unwrapped toys to be distributed to children in need throughout the community.
- Drop-off points are the following:
- Town Hall North, 54 Audrey Avenue, Oyster Bay
- Town Hall South, 977 Hicksville Road, Massapequa
- Town Department of Public Works, 150 Miller Place, Syosset
- The Town of Oyster Bay Ice Skating Center, 1001 Stewart Avenue, Bethpage.
Abundant Life Church of God
440 Furrows Road, Holbrook, NY 11741
Phone: (631) 588-7704
- Provides a Thanksgiving lunch/dinner on Thursday, November 23th from 11:00 am to 1 p
- To register call Pastor Jay Heart at 631-645-4262.
Patchogue-Medford Youth And Community Services, Inc.
390 Bay Avenue
Patchogue, New York, 11722
Telephone number is (631)758-4100
Thanksgiving and holiday resources include free toys, food and gifts during the holiday season for low-income and working poor families in the Patchogue Medford School District.
Selden Centereach Youth Association
1515 Middle Country Rd, Ste. 3
Centereach, NY, 11720
Telephone number is (631)732-2186
Assistance is for Middle Country School District families only.
F.E.G.S. Health & Human Services System
Address: 6900 Jericho Turnpike-Suite 309
Syosset, NY, 11791
Holiday assistance is offered by volunteers. They organize food drives, donate baskets of groceries and gifts, and deliver the items to families in need for the holidays.