Frequently Asked Commencement Questions
If you have questions regarding your academic status, please contact Registrar at 631.632.6175 or via email at email@example.com
- When choosing a virtual background in Zoom, please deselect “mirror my video” to ensure the text is displayed properly
- Use a background that is a solid color with minimal shadows and avoid any direct light sources in view behind you such as lightbulbs or sunlight in windows
- Position yourself at a distance so banner is readable
- Test the video and background before going live
Full instructions on using Zoom backgrounds can be found here
- Share your pictures with us on Instagram using the hashtag #SBUClassof2020
- How to Use Custom Instagram Effects Filters: Open the Instagram app and log in to your account. Visit the @sbustudentaffairs profile and check out their effects feature. The effects feature is next to the Instagram live feature. Tap on the one you would like to use and tap to take a photo or tap and hold to take a video. When using the front or back-facing camera, the effect you choose will automatically appear on the closest person’s face.
Video Tutorial on how to use the filters: Click here to view the video tutorial!
Create A Story
- Like Stony Brook Student Affairs so you can easily find the filters
- Open the Facebook app on your mobile device and log in to your account.
- Click on “Add to Story”
- Swipe right on “Create Story” and select Selfie
- Choose the happy face on the bottom right corner. The Effects Gallery should appear on the bottom of your screen.
- Swipe right to find the two SBU filters: SBU Grad Celebration and Stony Brook Grad.
If you don’t “like” the Stony Brook Student Affairs, you will not be able to find these filters!
Add A Custom Frame
- Hover over your Facebook profile picture.
- Click on “Update”
- Click on the button “Add Frame”
- Search for Stony Brook and select the SBU Class of 2020 frame
Answer: Please continue to check our Commencement website and Stony Brook University homepage for more information regarding a future Commencement ceremony. When safe to do so, our intention is to host an on campus event in the future.
Answer: A program, featuring all students who applied to graduate as of April 15, can be found on the Commencement website on May 22.
Answer: Many departments are hosting virtual convocations. The department convocation schedule will be made available on the Commencement website, please check back for updates. You can also check your department websites for more information.
Answer: Yes, the Virtual Degree Conferral Celebration will be available for viewing on our Commencement website.
Answer: Thornton Studios is unable to reserve portrait sittings at this time. Please continue to monitor our Commencement website for future dates for when it is safe to host appointments.
Answer: Yes! The "in store pick up" option for Bachelor's and Master's regalia has been disabled . Any student who placed an order through this method will be refunded and will need to place a ship to home order if they would like to receive regalia. All orders for Doctoral and faculty regalia from Herff Jones will also only be available through a ship to home method.
Bachelor's and Master's Regalia:
Any student who is interested in purchasing Bachelor’s or Master’s regalia must send an email to 2058mgr@Follett.com with the below information.
Subject Line: “Bachelor’s Regalia Purchase” or “Master’s Regalia Purchase”
Please include the below information in the email. You will be contacted to discuss payment options up to 72 hours after email is received.
- Name and Delivery Address
- Phone Number
- Email Address
- Degree Type (i.e. Bachelor’s or Master’s)
- Area of Study (i.e. Engineering, Social Work, Nursing)
- Does the graduate weigh more or less than 200lbs.
**Orders may take up to 7 days to process and ship. Any missing or incomplete information may create an additional delay. All orders will have a shipping fee of $7.50 and will be shipped using FedEx Ground.
Doctoral and Faculty Regalia:
Doctoral students and Faculty click here to order regalia!
Answer: Students and faculty who would like a refund for unopened regalia or regalia items that were purchased through the website can contact Herff Jones (Doctoral students and Faculty) and Oak Hall (Bachelor's and Master's students) directly. All contact methods for these companies can be found on the ordering websites. Oak Hall will refund the order (minus shipping and handling) as long as they receive it back within 30 days of shipment. Returns can be sent to: Oak Hall Cap & Gown, 3812 Blue Ridge Drive, Roanoke, VA 24018
Answer: Honors stoles will be distributed at a future in-person ceremony, when it is safe to do so.
Answer: Visit the alumni website for more information regarding the Stony Brook University Alumni Association. Click here to visit!
Answer: You can find the link to purchase the official class ring on the Alumni website. Click here to purchase your class ring today!
Answer: Honors distinctions are based on your CURRENT grade point average. The actual distinction awarded may be different as it is based on your FINAL grade point average. The actual honor will appear on your final transcript and diploma.