Emergency Support Award
The CIE Emergency Support Award was established to aid doctoral students experiencing severe financial hardships. Eligible students faced with impending funding lapses may receive a one-time stipend up to $3,000 for the fall OR spring, or $2500 for the summer. Given the nature of these types of emergency awards, we will accept applications on a rolling basis, however only a few awards will be made annually.
All candidates must:
- Be a registered CIE student
- Be enrolled in a doctoral program at Stony Brook
- Have received prior departmental support in the form of TA, GA, RA or Work Study funding
- Be receiving less than half-time TA/GA/RA/Work Study funding for the semester they are requesting support
- Have not recieved the Emergency Support Award previously.
How to Apply
Applicants are required to submit an electronic letter of request for consideration as a CIE Emergency Support Award recipient. This 1-2 page letter should detail the following:
- The reason for your funding lapse and when it is expected it to occur. If it is to be combined with any current or pending CIE funding, you must provide a comprehensive rationale for your request.
- Your current funding situation (TA, GA, RA, Work Study) and current annual stipend amount.
- Your current stage in your graduate program and if close to defending, an expected or already scheduled date for your dissertation defense.
- If you will not be graduating after the semester in which you are requesting support, a plan for funding after CIE Emergency Support has ceased.
Please note the following conditions of the award:
- To avoid a potential lapse in funding, you must submit your request at least 6 weeks prior to your anticipated lapse. You will be notified within 2-4 weeks if you have been accepted. Please note: your advisor and graduate program will be copied on this award letter.
- Applicants must meet with CIE staff member Rosalia Davi to discuss the implementation details of the potential award.
- Applicants should submit their letters of request to CIE@stonybrook.edu.