Empowering Safe Practices Team (ESPT)
The ESPT (Empowering Safe Practices Team) is led by a group of graduate students who serve as Laboratory Safety Officers (LSOs) from various areas of the Department of Chemistry at Stony Brook University.
Karena Chapman (Safety Committee Chair)
Patricia Nolan (Departmental Safety Officer)
April Musano (Director of Laboratories)
How does the ESPT aim to promote safety in the department?
- Increasing awareness of safe practices in the laboratory by posting safety-related flyers throughout the Chemistry building
- Ensuring that LSOs from all labs fully comprehend and are up-to-date on all mandatory training
- “Peer reviews” of each other’s labs, in addition to annual inspections by Environmental Health and Safety (EH&S)
- Involvement with graduate students through hands-on demos
- Participating in an annual department-wide safety day
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.