Empowering Safe Practices Team (ESPT)
The ESPT (Empowering Safe Practices Team) is led by a group of graduate students who serve as Laboratory Safety Officers (LSOs) from various areas of the Department of Chemistry at Stony Brook University.
Karena Chapman (
Safety Committee Chair)
Patricia Nolan ( Departmental Safety Officer)
April Musano ( Director of Laboratories)
How does the ESPT aim to promote safety in the department?
- Increasing awareness of safe practices in the laboratory by posting safety-related flyers throughout the Chemistry building
- Ensuring that LSOs from all labs fully comprehend and are up-to-date on all mandatory training
- “Peer reviews” of each other’s labs, in addition to annual inspections by Environmental Health and Safety (EH&S)
- Involvement with graduate students through hands-on demos
- Participating in an annual department-wide safety day
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.