Benjamin S. Hsiao, DISTINGUISHED Professor
Co-founding Director, Innovative Global Energy Solutions Center
Director, Center for Advanced Technology in Integrated Electric Energy Systems
B.S. National Taiwan University, 1980
Ph.D. University of Connecticut, 1987
Postdoctoral Fellow, University of Massachusetts, 1987-1989
Phone: (631) 632-7793 | Fax: (631) 632-6518
Co-founding Director, Innovative Global Energy Solutions Center, Stony Brook University, 2014-
Director, Center for Advanced Technology in Integrated Electric Energy Systems, 2014-
Vice President for Research and Chief Research Officer, Stony Brook University, 05/2012-12/2013
Chair, Chemistry Department, Stony Brook University, 2007-2012
Assistant (1997-98), Associate (1998-2002), Full (2002-) Professor, Chemistry Department, Stony Brook University
Staff Scientist, DuPont Company, 1989-1997
Adjunct Associate Professor, Materials Science, University of Delaware, 1994-1997
Spokesperson, X27C (Advanced Polymers Beamline), National Synchrotron Light Source, Brookhaven National Laboratory 1997-2012
Guest Professor, Changchun Institute of Applied Chemistry, Chinese Academic of Sciences, 2000-
Chang-Jiang Professor, Donghua University, Shanghai, China, 2008-
Visiting Professor, Beijing University of Chemical Technology, Shanghai, China, 2009-
Member of Editorial Advisory Board, Journal of Macromolecular Science- Physics, 1995-
Member of Editorial Advisory Board, Journal of Polymer Research, 1995-
Member of Editorial Advisory Board, High Performance Polymers, 1996-
Member of Editorial Advisory Board, Chinese Journal and Applied Chemistry; 2003-
Member of Editorial Advisory Board, Polymer, 2003-
Member of Editorial Advisory Board, Macromolecules, 2010-
Member of Editorial Advisory Board, ACS Macro Letters, 2012-
Member, Advisory Board, American Chemical Society, Petroleum Research Fund, 2007-2012
Member, Board of Directors of Science and Technology Steering Committee (STSC), Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL), 2010-2012
Member, Board of Directors, Long Island High Tech Incubator (LIHTI), 2012-
SPE/ANTEC Best Technical Papers, 1994 (two), 2002 (one)
DuPont Young Professor Award, 1998
Overseas Visiting Scholarship, National Science Council, Republic of China (Taiwan), 2002, 2006
Fellow, American Physical Society, 2002
Journal of Controlled Release, Most Cited Paper Award, 2004
Licensed Innovation Award, Research Foundation of State University of New York, 2005
Special Creativity Award, Division of Materials Research, National Science Foundation, 2007
Chang-Jiang Professor Scholarship (in Donghua University, Shanghai), Education Ministry of China, 2008
Fellow, American Chemical Society, 2011
Fellow, American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS), 2011
Patent of the Year Award, Long Island Technology Hall of Fame, 2013
Molecular Science Frontier Lecture Professorship of Institute of Chemistry, Chinese Academy of Sciences, 2013
Fellow, National Academy of Inventors, 2013
“Dr R A Mashelkar Endowment Lecture on Advanced Materials” at the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) - National Chemical Laboratory (NCL), India, 2014
Distinguished Professional Achievement Award, Chinese American Academic and Professional Society (CAAPS), 2014
Co-operative Research Award (shared with Andy Tsou), American Chemical Society, Division of Polymeric Materials: Science and Engineering, 2015
Fellow, Materials Research Society, 2015
Distinguished Professor, State University of New York, 2015
Honorary Professor, University of Queensland, Australia, 2015
Invention Ambassador, American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS)-Lemelson Foundation, 2016
Elected Member, University of Connecticut, Academy of Distinguished Engineers, 2019
The Prince Sultan bin Abdulaziz International Prize for Water (PSIPW) - The Creativity Prize., 2020
Fellow, International Association of Advanced Materials (IAAM), 2021
Polymer Science and Applications
NANOFIBROUS MEMBRANES FOR WATER PURIFICATION
NANOCELLULOSE TECHNOLOGY FOR WATER PURIFICATION
STRUCTURE CHARACTERIZATION OF REVERSE OSMOSIS MEMBRANES
Articles in Scientific Journals (2016-)
438. L Shen, X Yu, C Cheng, C Song, X Wang, M Zhu, BS Hsiao, “High Filtration Performance Thin Film Nanofibrous Composite Membrane Prepared by Electrospraying Technique and Hot-Pressing Treatment”, Journal of Membrane Science, 499, 470-479 (2016).
439. P. Posadas, M. A. Malmierca, A. Gonzalez-Jimenez, L. Ibarra, A. Rodriguez, J. L. Valentin, T. Nagaoka, H. Yajima, S. Toki, J. Che, L. Rong, B. S. Hsiao “ESR investigation of NR and IR rubber vulcanized with different cross-link agents”, Express Polymer Letter, 10(1), 2-14 (2016).
440. Y. Chen, S. Yang, H. Yang, G. Zhong, D. Fang, B. S. Hsiao, Z. Li, “Deformation behavior of oriented β-crystals in injection-molded isotactic polypropylene by in situ X-ray scattering”, Polymer, 84, 254-266 (2016).
441. Mao, Yimin; Su, Ying; Hsiao, Benjamin S., “Probing structure and orientation in polymers using synchrotron small- and wide-angle X-ray scattering techniques”, European Polymer Journal, 81, 433-446 (2016).
442. S. Y. Zhou, H. D. Huang, X. Ji, D. Yan, G. J. Zhong, B. S. Hsiao, Z. M. Li, “Super-robust Polylactide Barrier Films by Building Densely Oriented Lamellae Incorporated with Ductile In-situ Nanofibrils of Poly (butylene adipate-co-terephthalate)”, ACS applied materials & interfaces, 8 (12), 8096-8109 (2016).
443. S. Y. Zhou, H. D. Huang, L. Xu, Z. Yan, G. J. Zhong, B. S. Hsiao, Z. M. Li, “In Situ Nanofibrillar Networks Composed of Densely Oriented Polylactide Crystals as Efficient Reinforcement and Promising Barrier Wall for Fully Biodegradable Poly (butylene succinate) Composite Films”, ACS Sustainable Chemistry & Engineering, 4 (5), 2887-2897 (2016).
444. Huizhen Ke, Emma Feldman, Plinio Guzman, Jesse Cole, Qufu Wei, Benjamin Chu, Abdullah Alkhudhiri, Radwan Alrasheed, Benjamin S Hsiao, “Electrospun polystyrene nanofibrous membranes for direct contact membrane distillation”, Journal of Membrane Science, 515, 86-97 (2016).
445. Y. Yang, X. Wang, B. S. Hsiao “Preparation of thin film nanofibrous composite NF membrane based on EDC/NHS modified PAN-AA nanofibrous substrate”, IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering 137 (1), 012047 (2016).
446. Ning Kang, Fang Lin, Wei Zhao, Jack P Lombardi, Mihdhar Almihdhar, Kai Liu, Shan Yan, Juhee Kim, Jin Luo, Benjamin S Hsiao, Mark Poliks, Chuan-Jian Zhong, “Nanoparticle–Nanofibrous Membranes as Scaffolds for Flexible Sweat Sensors”, ACS Sensors, 1(8), 1060–1069 (2016).
447. H.-W. Zhou, C. Burger, H. Wang, B. S. Hsiao, B. Chu and L. Graham, “The supramolecular structure of bone: X-ray scattering analysis and lateral structure modeling”, Acta Crystallographica Section D: Structural Biology 72 (9), 986-996 (2016).
448. Shen, Lingdi; Cheng, Cheng; Yu, Xufeng; Yang, Yin; Wang, Xuefen; Zhu, Meifang; Hsiao, Benjamin S., “Low pressure UV-cured CS-PEO-PTEGDMA/PAN thin film nanofibrous composite nanofiltration membranes for anionic dyes separation”, Journal of Materials Chemistry A: Materials for Energy and Sustainability, 4, 15575-15588 (2016).
449. L. Xie, H. Xu, L. B. Li, B. S. Hsiao, G. J. Zhong, Z. M. Li, “Biomimetic Nanofibrillation in Two-Component Biopolymer Blends with Structural Analogs to Spider Silk”, Scientific Reports 6, 34572 (2016).
450. K. Hou, H. Wang, Y. Lin, S. Chen, S. Yang, Y. Cheng, B. S. Hsiao, M. Zhu ‘Large Scale Production of Continuous Hydrogel Fibers with Anisotropic Swelling Behavior by Dynamic‐Crosslinking‐Spinning’, Macromolecular Rapid Communications, 37(22), 1795-1801 (2016).
451. Yang Liu, Hongyang Ma, Benjamin S. Hsiao, Benjamin Chu and Andy H. Tsou, “Improvement of Meltdown Temperature of Lithium-Ion Battery Separator using Electrospun Polyethersulfone Membranes”, Polymer, 107, 163-169 (2016).
452. X Yu, L Shen, Y Zhu, X Li, Y Yang, X Wang, M Zhu, BS Hsiao, “High performance thin-film nanofibrous composite hemodialysis membranes with efficient middle-molecule uremic toxin removal”, Journal of Membrane Science, 523, 173–184 (2017).
453. Zhe Wang, Hongyang Ma, Benjamin Chu & Benjamin S. Hsiao, “Super-hydrophobic Polyurethane Sponges for Oil Absorption”, Separation Science and Technology, 52(2), 221-227 (2017).
454. Wang, Zhe; Ma, Hongyang; Chu, Benjamin; Hsiao, Benjamin S., “Fabrication of cellulose nanofiber-based ultrafiltration membranes by spray coating approach”, Journal of Applied Polymer Science, 134(11), 44583 (2017).
455. Hongyang Ma, Benjamin Chu, Benjamin S. Hsiao, “Modification of Carbon Nanotubes with Fluorinated Ionic Liquid for Improving Processability of Fluoro-Ethylene-Propylene”, European Polymer Journal, 87, 398-405 (2017).
456. Andy H Tsou, Alexander I Norman, Yonglai Lu, Joseph A Throckmorton, Benjamin S Hsiao, “Sequence distribution and elastic properties of propylene-based elastomers”, Polymer, 111, 115-122 (2017).
457. Mao, Yimin; Liu, Kai; Zhan, Chengbo; Geng, Lihong; Chu, Benjamin; Hsiao, Benjamin S., “Characterization of Nanocellulose Using Small-Angle Neutron, X-ray, and Dynamic Light Scattering Techniques”, Journal of Physical Chemistry B, 121(6), 1340-1351 (2017).
458. Y. Yang, X. Li, L. Shen, X. Wang, B. S. Hsiao, ”Ionic Cross-Linked Poly (acrylonitrile-co-acrylic acid)/Polyacrylonitrile Thin Film Nanofibrous Composite Membrane with High Ultrafiltration Performance”, Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research, 56 (11), 3077–3090 (2017).
459. S. Y. Zhou, B. Niu, X. L. Xie, X. Ji, G. J. Zhong, B. S. Hsiao, Z. M. Li, “Interfacial Shish-Kebabs Lengthened by Coupling Effect of In Situ Flexible Nanofibrils and Intense Shear Flow: Achieving Hierarchy To Conquer the Conflicts between Strength and Toughness of Polylactide”, ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, 9(11), 10148–10159 (2017).
460. Yang, Yin; Li, Xiong; Shen, Lingdi; Wang, Xuefen; Hsiao, Benjamin S., “A durable thin-film nanofibrous composite nanofiltration membrane prepared by interfacial polymerization on a double-layer nanofibrous scaffold”, RSC Advances, 7 (29), 18001-18013 (2017).
461. Li-Hong Geng, Lengwan Li, Hao-Yang Mi, Bin-Yi Chen, Priyanka Sharma, Hongyang Ma, Benjamin S Hsiao, Xiang-Fang Peng, Tairong Kuang, “Superior Impact Toughness and Excellent Storage Modulus of Poly (lactic acid) Foams Reinforced by Shish-Kebab Nanoporous Structure”, ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, 9(25), 21071-21076 (2017).
462. Yonglai Lu, Alexander I Norman, Andy H Tsou, John R Hagadorn, Benjamin S Hsiao, “Deformation X-ray study of propylene-based elastomers with controlled sequence distributions”, Polymer, 122, 208–221 (2017).
463. Shuquan Sun, Yonglai Lu, Benjamin S. Hsiao, Dong Wang & Liqun Zhang “Comprehensive study on temperature-induced crystallisation and strain-induced crystallisation behaviours of natural rubber/isoprene rubber blends”, Plastics, Rubber and Composites, 46 (7), 290-300 (2017).
464. Kai Hou, Yan Li, Yao Liu, Ruihui Zhang, Benjamin S Hsiao, Meifang Zhu, “Continuous fabrication of cellulose nanocrystal/poly (ethylene glycol) diacrylate hydrogel fiber from nanocomposite dispersion: Rheology, preparation and characterization”, Polymer, 123, 55-64 (2017).
465. Xiao Wang, Hongyang Ma, Benjamin Chu, Benjamin S Hsiao, “Thin-film nanofibrous composite reverse osmosis membranes for desalination” Desalination, 420, 91-98 (2017)
466. Priyanka R Sharma, Ritika Joshi, Sunil K. Sharma, Benjamin S Hsiao, “A Simple Approach to Prepare Carboxycellulose Nanofibers from Untreated Biomass”, Biomacromolecules, 18(8), 2333–2342 (2017).
467. K Hou, Y. Y. Lin, B. S. Hsiao, M. F. Zhu, “Continuous Production of Hollow Hydrogel Fibers with Graphene Inner Wall, Materials Science Forum, 898, 2197-2204 (2017)
468. Zhe Wang, Hongyang Ma, , Benjamin Chu and Benjamin S. Hsiao, “Super-hydrophobic modification of porous natural polymer “luffa sponge” for oil absorption”, Polymer, 126, 470-476 (2017).
469. Priyanka R. Sharma, Aurnov Chattopadhyay, Sunil K Sharma, and Benjamin S. Hsiao, “Efficient Removal of UO22+ from Water using Carboxycellulose Nanofibers Prepared by the Nitro-Oxidation Method”, Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research, 56(46), 13885-13893 (2017).
470. Lihong Geng, Xiangfang Peng, Chengbo Zhan, Ali Naderi, Priyanka R Sharma, Yimin Mao, Benjamin S Hsiao, “Structure characterization of cellulose nanofiber hydrogel as functions of concentration and ionic strength”, Cellulose, 24(12), 5417-5429 (2017).
471. Watcharin Sainumsai, Shigeyuki Toki, Sureerut Amnuaypornsri, Adun Nimpaiboon, Jitladda Sakdapipanich, Lixia Rong, Benjamin S Hsiao, Krisda Suchiva, “Dependence of the onset of strain-induced crystallization of natural rubber and its synthetic analogue on crosslink and entanglement by using synchrotron X-ray”, Rubber Chemistry and Technology, 90(4), 728-742 (2017).
472. Shan Yan, Xin Liu, Zakiya Skeete, Ning He, Zhi‐Hui Xie, Wei Zhao, Jack P Lombardi, Kai Liu, Ning Kang, Jin Luo, Benjamin S Hsiao, Mark Poliks, Ivan Gitsov, Chuan‐Jian Zhong, “Decoration of Nanofibrous Paper Chemiresistors with Dendronized Nanoparticles toward Structurally Tunable Negative‐Going Response Characteristics to Human Breathing and Sweating”, Advanced Materials Interfaces, 4(22), 1700380 (2017).
473. Shu-Gui Yang, Zhe Ma, Jun Lei, Liangbin Li, Benjamin S. Hsiao, and Zhong-Ming Li, “A Criterion for Flow-Induced Oriented Crystals in Isotactic Polypropylene under Pressure”, Macromol. Rapid Commun., 38(23), 1700407 (2017).
474. Yan Wang, Jian Zhao, Minjie Qu, Jing Guo, Shu-Gui Yang, Jun Lei, Jia-Zhuang Xu, Yan-Hui Chen, Zhong-Ming Li, Benjamin S Hsiao, “An unusual promotion of γ-crystals in metallocene-made isotactic polypropylene from orientational relaxation and favorable temperature window induced by shear”, Polymer, 134, 196–203 (2018).
475. Wu, Tianyuan; Cai, Yu; Zhao, Xia; Ngai, Chai K.; Chu, Benjamin; Hsiao, Benjamin; Hadjiargyrou, Michael; Grubbs, Robert B. “Synthesis and characterization of poly(ethylene oxide)/polylactide/polylysine tri-arm star copolymers for gene delivery”, Journal of Polymer Science, Part A: Polymer Chemistry, 56(6), 635-644 (2018).
476. Zoe V Quiñones-Jurado, Carlos A Ávila-Orta, Blanca E Castillo-Reyes, José M Mata-Padilla, Benjamin S Hsiao, Francisco J Medellín-Rodríguez, Miguel A Waldo-Mendoza, “Effect of Sorbitol Templates on the Preferential Crystallographic Growth of Isotactic Polypropylene Wax”, Crystals 8(2), 59 (2018).
477. Lihong Geng, Nitesh Mittal, Chengbo Zhan, Farhan Ansari, Priyanka R. Sharma, Xiangfang Peng, Benjamin S. Hsiao and L. Daniel Söderberg, “Understanding the Mechanistic Behavior of Highly Charged Cellulose Nanofibers in Aqueous Systems”, Macromolecules, 51(4), 1498-1506 (2018).
478. Priyanka R. Sharma, Aurnov Chattopadhyay, Sunil K Sharma, Li-Hong Geng, Nasim Amiralian, Darren J. Martin, and Benjamin S. Hsiao, “Nanocellulose from Spinifex as an Effective Adsorbent to Remove Cadmium(II) from Water, ACS Sustainable Chem. Eng., 6 (3), 3279–3290 (2018).
479. C. Cheng, P. Li, K. Shen, T. Zhang, X. Cao, B. Wang, X. Wang, B. S. Hsiao, “Integrated Polyamide Thin-film Nanofibrous Composite Membrane Regulated by Functionalized Interlayer for Efficient Water/Isopropanol Separation”, Journal of Membrane Science, 553, 70-81 (2018).
480. Hongyang Ma and Benjamin S. Hsiao “Nanocellulose Extracted from Defoliation of Ginkgo Leaves”, MRS Advances, 2, 1-12 (2018).
481. Priyanka R. Sharma, Aurnov Chattopadhyay, Chengbo Zhan, Sunil K. Sharma, Lihong Geng and Benjamin S. Hsiao, “Lead Removal from Water using Carboxycellulose Nanofibers Prepared by Nitro-Oxidation Method”, Cellulose, 25(3), 1961-1973 (2018).
482. Zongbao Wang , Yimin Mao, Chatchai Jarumaneeroj, Boonyakeat Thitisak, Piyawan Tiyapiboonchaiya, Wonchalerm Rungswang, Benjamin S. Hsiao, “The Influence of Short Chain Branch on Formation of Shish-Kebab Crystals in Bimodal Polyethylene under Shear at High Temperatures”, Journal of Polymer Science, Part B: Polymer Physics, 56(10), 786-794 (2018).
483. Hua, Weikang; Wang, Min; Li, Peiyun; Shen, Ke; Wang, Xuefen; Hsiao, Benjamin, “Sulfonylcalixarene functionalized nanofiber membranes for effective removal and selective fluorescence recognition of terbium(III) ions”, New Journal of Chemistry, 42, 6191-6202 (2018).
484. Li Deng, Haohui Ye, Xiong Li, Peiyun Li, Jiawei Zhang, Xuefen Wang, Meifang Zhu, Benjamin S Hsiao, “Self-roughened omniphobic coatings on nanofibrous membrane for membrane distillation”, Separation and Purification Technology, 206, 14-25 (2018).
485. Libin Jiang, Minfang An, Feng Wu, Weijun Miao, Zongbao Wang, Yaopeng Zhang, Benjamin S Hsiao, “The Influence of Short Chain Branch on Formation of Shear Induced Crystals in Bimodal Polyethylene at High Shear Temperatures”, European Polymer Journal, 105, 359-369 (2018).
486. Priyanka R Sharma, Bingqian Zheng, Sunil K Sharma, Chengbo Zhan, Ruifu Wang, Surita Rani Bhatia, Benjamin S Hsiao, “High Aspect Ratio Carboxycellulose Nanofibers Prepared by Nitro-Oxidation Method and Their Nanopaper Properties”, ACS Applied Nano Materials, 1 (8), 3969–3980 (2018)
487. Tong Liu, An Huang, Li-Hong Geng, Xing-Han Lian, Binyi Chen, Benjamin S Hsiao, Tai-Rong Kuang, Xiang-Fang Peng, “Ultra-strong, tough and high wear resistance high-density polyethylene for structural engineering application: A facile strategy towards using the combination of extensional dynamic oscillatory shear flow and ultra-high-molecular-weight polyethylene”, Composites Science and Technology, 167, 301-312 (2018).
488. Yatao Liu, Sumin Gao, Benjamin S Hsiao, Alexander Norman, Andy H Tsou, Joseph Throckmorton, Antonios Doufas, Yaopeng Zhang, “Shear induced crystallization of bimodal and unimodal high density polyethylene”, Polymer, 153(26), 223-231 (2018).
489. Min Wang, Xiong Li, Tonghui Zhang, Li Deng, Peiyun Li, Xuefen Wang, Benjamin S Hsiao, “Eco-friendly poly (acrylic acid)-sodium alginate nanofibrous hydrogel: A multifunctional platform for superior removal of Cu (II) and sustainable catalytic applications”, Colloids and Surfaces A: Physicochemical and Engineering Aspects, 558(5), 228-241 (2018).
490. Yanxiang Li, Jessica Tian, Chuanfang Yang and Benjamin S. Hsiao, “Nanocomposite Film Containing Fibrous Cellulose Scaffold and Ag/TiO2 Nanoparticles and Its Antibacterial Activity”, Polymers, 10, 1052 (2018).
491. Xiong Li, Ce Wang, Xiaohua Huang, Tonghui Zhang, Xuefen Wang, Minghua Min, Lumin Wang, Hongliang Huang, Benjamin S Hsiao, “Anionic Surfactant Triggered Steiner Geometrical Poly (vinylidene fluoride) Nano-Fiber/Nets Air Filter for Efficient Particulate Matter Removal”, ACS applied materials & interfaces, 10(49), 42891–42904 (2018).
492. Qianqian Niu, Qingfa Peng, Li Lu, Suna Fan, Huili Shao, Huihui Zhang, Rongliang Wu, Benjamin S Hsiao, Yaopeng Zhang, “Single Molecular Layer of Silk Nanoribbon as Potential Basic Building Block of Silk Materials”, ACS Nano, 12 (12), 11860-11870 (2018).
493. Cheng Cheng, Peiyun Li, Tonghui Zhang, Xuefen Wang, Benjamin S Hsiao, “Enhanced pervaporation performance of polyamide membrane with synergistic effect of porous nanofibrous support and trace graphene oxide lamellae”, Chemical Engineering Science, 196, 265-276 (2019).
494. Haohui Ye, Xiong Li, Li Deng, Peiyun Li, Tonghui Zhang, Xuefen Wang, Benjamin S Hsiao “Silver nanoparticles-enabled photothermal nanofibrous membrane for light-driven membrane distillation”, Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research, in press (2019)
495. Priyanka R. Sharma, Sunil K. Sharma, Richard Antoine and Benjamin S. Hsiao, “Efficient Removal of Arsenic Using Zinc Oxide Nanocrystals Decorated Regenerated Microfibrillated Cellulose Scaffolds”, ACS Sustainable Chemistry & Engineering, 7(6), 6140-6151 (2019).
496. Pejman Hadi, Mengying Yang, Hongyang Ma, Xiangyu Huang, Harold Walker, Benjamin S. Hsiao, “Biofouling-resistant nanocellulose layer in hierarchical polymeric membranes: Synthesis, characterization and performance”, Journal of Membrane Science, 579, 162–171 (2019).
497.Qinyi Fu, Nisha Verma, Hongyang Ma, Francisco J. Medellin-Rodriguez, Ruipeng Li, Masafumi Fukuto, Christopher M. Stafford, Benjamin S. Hsiao, and Benjamin M. Ocko “Molecular Structure of Aromatic Reverse Osmosis Polyamide Barrier Layers”, ACS Macro Lett. 8, 352−356 (2019).
498. Wonchalerm Rungswang, Chatchai Jarumaneeroj, Supanan Patthamasang, Phairat Phiriyawirut, Prapasinee Jirasukho, Siriwat Soontaranon, Supagorn Rugmai, Benjamin S. Hsiao, “Influences of tacticity and molecular weight on crystallization kinetic and crystal morphology under isothermal crystallization: Evidence of tapering in lamellar width”, Polymer, 172, 41-51 (2019).
499. Xufeng Yu, Yadong Zhu, Cheng Cheng, Tonghui Zhang, Xuefen Wang, Benjamin S. Hsiao “Novel thin-film nanofibrous composite membranes containing directional toxin transport nanochannels for efficient and safe hemodialysis application”, Journal of Membrane Science, 582, 151-163 (2019).
500. Li Deng, Peiyun Li, Kang Liu, Xuefen Wang, Benjamin S. Hsiao, “Robust superhydrophobic dual layer nanofibrous composite membrane with hierarchically structured amorphous polypropylene skin for membrane distillation”, Journal of Materials Chemistry A, 7, 11282-11297 (2019).
501. Guilherme Dognani, Pejman Hadi, Hongyang Ma, Flavio C. Cabrera, Aldo E. Job, Deuber L. S. Agostini, Benjamin S. Hsiao, “Effective chromium removal from water by polyaniline-coated electrospun adsorbent membrane”, Chemical Engineering Journal, 372, 341-351 (2019).
502. Chengbo Zhan, Priyanka R. Sharma, Lihong Geng, Sunil K. Sharma, Ruifu Wang, Ritika Joshi and Benjamin S. Hsiao, “Structural Characterization of Carboxylcellulose Nanofibers Extracted from Underutilized Sources”, Science China Technological Sciences, 62 (6), 971-981 (2019).
503. Xiangxiang Liu, Hongyang Ma, Benjamin S Hsiao, “Interpenetrating Nanofibrous Composite Membranes for Water Purification” ACS Applied Nano Materials, 2(6), 3606-3614 (2019).
504. Nancy Li, Jackie Zheng, Pejman Hadi, Mengying Yang, Xiangyu Huang, Hongyang Ma, Harold W Walker, Benjamin S Hsiao, “Synthesis and Characterization of a High Flux Nanocellulose–Cellulose Acetate Nanocomposite Membrane”, Membranes, 9(6), 70 (2019).
505. Libin Jiang, Mengjie Zhu, Minfang An, Yiguo Li, Weijun Miao, Zongbao Wang and Benjamin S. Hsiao, “The influence of short chain branch on formation of shear-induced crystals in bimodal polyethylene at low shear temperatures”, Polymer, 179(28), 121625 (2019).
506. Ruifu Wang, Tomas Rosen, Chengbo Zhan, Shirish Chodankar, Jiahui Chen, Priyanka R Sharma, Sunil K Sharma, Tianbo Liu, Benjamin S. Hsiao, “Morphology and Flow Behavior of Cellulose Nanofibers Dispersed in Glycols”, Macromolecules, 52(15) 5499-5509 (2019).
507. Peiyun Li, Cheng Cheng, Ke Shen, Tonghui Zhang, Xuefen Wang, Benjamin S. Hsiao, “Enhancing Dehydration Performance of Isopropanol by Introducing Intermediate Layer into Sodium Alginate Nanofibrous Composite Pervaporation Membrane”, Advanced Fiber Materials, 1(2), 137–151 (2019).
508. Likun Wang, Xianghao Zuo, Aniket Raut, Rebecca Isseroff, Yuan Xue, Yuchen Zhou, Bhawan Sandhu, Tzipora Schein, Tatiana Zaliznyak, Priyanka Sharma, Sunil Sharma, Benjamin S. Hsiao, Miriam H Rafailovich, “Operation of Proton Exchange Membrane (PEM) Fuel Cells using Natural Cellulose Fiber Membranes”, Sustainable Energy & Fuels, 3, 2725-2732 (2019).
509. Li Lu, Suna Fan, Qianqian Niu, Qingfa Peng, Lihong Geng, Gesheng Yang, Huili Shao, Benjamin S. Hsiao, Yaopeng Zhang, “Strong silk fibers containing cellulose nanofibers generated by a bioinspired microfluidic chip”, ACS Sustainable Chemistry & Engineering, 7(17), 14765-14774 (2019).
510.Xiangxiang Liu, Xuan Wang, Hongyang Ma, Shyam Venkateswaran, Benjamin S. Hsiao, “Colorful nanofibrous composite membranes by two-nozzle electrospinning”, Materials Today Communications, 21, 100643 (2019).
511. Chengbo Zhan, Yanxiang Li, Priyanka R. Sharma, Hongrui He,Sunil K. Sharma, Ruifu Wang and Benjamin S. Hsiao, “A Study of TiO2 Nanocrystal Growth and Environmental Remediation Capability of TiO2/CNC Nanocomposites“, RSC Adv., 9, 40565–40576 (2019).
512. Hui Chen, Sunil K Sharma, Priyanka R Sharma, Heidi Yeh, Ken Johnson, Benjamin S. Hsiao, “Arsenic (III) Removal by Nanostructured Dialdehyde Cellulose–Cysteine Microscale and Nanoscale Fibers”, ACS Omega, 4, 26, 22008-22020 (2019).
513. Cong Li, Hongyang Ma, Shyam Venkateswaran, Benjamin S. Hsiao, “Highly efficient and sustainable carboxylated cellulose filters for removal of cationic dyes/heavy metals ions”, Chemical Engineering Journal, 389, 123458 (2020).
514. Weiping Zheng, Dalin Du, Aihua He, Yaping Ma, Huafeng Shao, Chenguang Liu, Benjamin S. Hsiao “Temperature rising elution fractionation and fraction compositional analysis of Polybutene-1/Polypropylene in-reactor alloys”, Materials Today Communications, 23, 100868 (2020).
515. Xufeng Yu, Yadong Zhu, Tonghui Zhang, Li Deng, Peiyun Li, Xuefen Wang, Benjamin S. Hsiao “Heparinized thin-film composite membranes with sub-micron ridge structure for efficient hemodialysis” Journal of Membrane Science, 599, 117706 (2020).
516. Guoyin Chen, Yulu Ai, Innocent Tendo Mugaanire, Wujun Ma, Benjamin S. Hsiao, Kai Hou, Meifang Zhu, “A simple inorganic hybrids strategy for graphene fibers fabrication with excellent electrochemical performance”, Journal of Power Sources 450, 227637 (2020).
517. Xiangxiang Liu, Bingyin Jiang, Xing Yin, Hongyang Ma, Benjamin S. Hsiao, “Highly permeable nanofibrous composite microfiltration membranes for removal of nanoparticles and heavy metal ions”, Separation and Purification Technology, 233, 115976 (2020).
518. Li Deng, Kang Liu, Peiyun Li, Ding Sun, Siping Ding, Xuefen Wang, Benjamin S. Hsiao, “Engineering construction of robust superhydrophobic two-tier composite membrane with interlocked structure for membrane distillation”, Journal of Membrane Science, 598, 117813 (2020).
519. Yanxiang Li, Jinju Zhang, Chengbo Zhan, Fangong Kong, Wangliang Li, Chuanfang Yang, Benjamin S. Hsiao “Facile Synthesis of TiO2/CNC Nanocomposites for Enhanced Cr (VI) Photoreduction: Synergistic Roles of Cellulose Nanocrystals”, Carbohydrate Polymers, 233, 115838 (2020).
520. Xiangyu Huang, Guilherme Dognani, Pejman Hadi, Mengying Yang, Aldo Eloizo Job, Benjamin S. Hsiao, “Cationic Dialdehyde Nanocellulose from Sugarcane Bagasse for Efficient Chromium (VI) Removal”, ACS Sustainable Chemistry & Engineering, 8(12), 4734-4744 (2020).
521. Xing Yin, Zhaoju Zhang, Hongyang Ma, Shyam Venkateswaran, Benjamin S. Hsiao, “Ultra-fine electrospun nanofibrous membranes for multicomponent wastewater treatment: Filtration and adsorption”, Separation and Purification Technology, 242, 116794 (2020).
522. Tomas Rosén, Ruifu Wang, Chengbo Zhan, Hongrui He, Shirish Chodankar, and Benjamin S. Hsiao, “Cellulose nanofibrils and nanocrystals in confined flow: Single-particle dynamics to collective alignment revealed through scanning small-angle x-ray scattering and numerical simulations”, Phys. Rev. E 101, 032610 (2020).
523. Sunil K. Sharma, Priyanka R. Sharma, Simon Lin, Hui Chen, Ken Johnson, Ruifu Wang, William Borges, Chengbo Zhan and Benjamin S. Hsiao, “Reinforcement of Natural Rubber Latex Using Jute Carboxycellulose Nanofibers Extracted Using Nitro-Oxidation Method”, Nanomaterials, 10(4), 706 (2020).
524. Li Deng, Kang Liu, Peiyun Li, Ding Sun, Siping Ding, Xuefen Wang, Benjamin S. Hsiao, “Engineering construction of robust superhydrophobic two-tier composite membrane with interlocked structure for membrane distillation”, Journal of Membrane Science, 598, 117813 (2020).
525. Cong Li, Hongyang Ma, Shyam Venkateswaran, Benjamin S. Hsiao, “Sustainable carboxylated cellulose filters for efficient removal and recovery of lanthanum”, Environmental Research, 188, 109685 (2020).
526. Lijun Quan, Xiaodong Zhang, Weilong Xia, Yanhui Chen, Lei Gong, Zhenguo Liu, Qiuyu Zhang, Ganji Zhong, Zhongming Li, Benjamin Hsiao, “In situ synchrotron X-ray scattering studies on the temperature dependence of oriented β-crystal growth in isotactic polypropylene”, Polymer Testing, 90, 106660 (2020).
527. Yuhua Cai, Lihong Geng, Song Chen, Shuo Shi, Benjamin S Hsiao, and Xiangfang Peng “Hierarchical Assembly of Nanocellulose into Filaments by Flow-Assisted Alignment and Interfacial Complexation: Conquering the Conflicts between Strength and Toughness”, ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces, 12(28), 32090-32098 (2020).
528. Yan Liang, Hongyang Ma, Ahmed Aboueloyoun Taha, Benjamin S Hsiao, “High-flux anti-fouling nanofibrous composite ultrafiltration membranes containing negatively charged water channels”, Journal of Membrane Science, 612, 118382 (2020).
529. Shan Yan, Shiyao Shan, Jianguo Wen, Jing Li, Ning Kang, Zhipeng Wu, Jack Lombardi, Han‐Wen Cheng, Jie Wang, Jin Luo, Ning He, Derrick Mott, Lichang Wang, Qingfeng Ge, Benjamin S Hsiao, Mark Poliks, Chuan‐Jian Zhong, “Surface‐Mediated Interconnections of Nanoparticles in Cellulosic Fibrous Materials toward 3D Sensors”, Advanced Materials, 2002171 (2020).
530. Mengying Yang, Pejman Hadi, Xuechen Yin, Jason Yu, Xiangyu Huang, Hongyang Ma, Harold Walker, Benjamin S. Hsiao, “Antifouling nanocellulose membranes: How subtle adjustment of surface charge lead to self-cleaning property”, Journal of Membrane Science, 118739 (2020)
531. Chengbo Zhan, Priyanka R. Sharma, Hongrui He, Sunil K. Sharma, Alexis McCauley-Pearl, Ruifu Wang and Benjamin S. Hsiao, “Rice Husk Based Nanocellulose Scaffold for Highly Efficient Removal of Heavy Metal Ions from Contaminated Water”, Environmental Science: Water Research & Technology, 6, 3080 – 3090 (2020). DOI:10.1039/d0ew00545b
532. Tomas Rosén, HongRui He, Ruifu Wang, Chengbo Zhan, Shirish Chodankar, Andreas Fall, Christian Aulin, Per Tomas Larsson, Tom Lindström, and Benjamin S. Hsiao, “Cross-Sections of Nanocellulose from Wood Analyzed by Quantized Polydispersity of Elementary Microfibrils”, ACS Nano, 14 (12), 16743–16754 (2020). DOI:10.1021/acsnano.0c04570
533. Kevin Gu, Eric J Kim, Sunil K Sharma, Priyanka R Sharma, Stoyan Bliznakov, Benjamin S Hsiao, Miriam H Rafailovich, “Mesoporous Carbon Aerogel with Tunable Porosity as Catalyst Support for Enhanced Proton Exchange Membrane Fuel Cell Performance”, Materials Today Energy, 19, 100560 (2021). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mtener.2020.100560
534. Tomas Rosén, Ruifu Wang, HongRui He, Chengbo Zhan, Shirish Chodankar, Benjamin S. Hsiao, “Shear-free mixing to achieve accurate temporospatial nanoscale kinetics through scanning-SAXS: Ioninduced phase transition of dispersed cellulose nanocrystals”, Lab on a Chip, 21, 1084-1095 (2021). DOI: 10.1039/D0LC01048K
535. Priyanka R. Sharma, Sunil K. Sharma , Marc Nolan, Wenqi Li, Lakshta Kundal and Benjamin S. Hsiao, “Sequential Oxidation on Wood and Its Application in Pb2+ Removal from Contaminated Water”, Polysaccharides, 2, 245–256 (2021). https://doi.org/10.3390/polysaccharides2020017
536. Yanping Liu, Yingchao Wang, Qianhang Yu, Linjuan Ren, Yaowen Wu, Zhen Wang, Qian Li, Benjamin S Hsiao, “Crystal Structural Evolution of Polybutene-1 in Solid State upon Deformation and Stress Relaxation”, Polymer, 123833 (2021). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.polymer.2021.123833
537. Xin, R., Ma, H., Venkateswaran, S.. Hsiao, B. S. “Electrospun Nanofibrous Adsorption Membranes for Wastewater Treatment: Mechanical Strength Enhancement”, Chem. Res. Chin. Univ. (2021). https://doi.org/10.1007/s40242-021-1095-5
538. Zong-Bao Wang, Yi-Min Mao, Xu-Ke Li, Yi-Guo Li, Chatchai Jarumaneeroj, Boonyakeat Thitisak, Piyawan Tiyapiboonchaiya, Wonchalerm Rungswang, Benjamin S Hsiao, “The Influence of Ethyl Branch on Formation of Shish-Kebab Crystals in Bimodal Polyethylene under Shear at Low Temperature”, Chinese Journal of Polymer Science, (2021). https://doi.org/10.1007/s10118-021-2568-1
539. Sarah Lotfikatouli, Pejman Hadi, Mengying Yang, Harold W Walker, Benjamin S Hsiao, Christopher Gobler, Michael Reichel, Xinwei Mao, “Enhanced anti-fouling performance in Membrane Bioreactors using a novel cellulose nanofiber-coated membrane” Separation and Purification Technology, 119145 (2021). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.seppur.2021.119145
540. Hui Chen, Sunil K Sharma, Priyanka R Sharma, Kai Chi, Eric Fung, Katherine Aubrecht, Ngonye Keroletswe, Samuel Chigome, Benjamin S Hsiao, “Nitro-oxidized carboxycellulose nanofibers from moringa plant: effective bioadsorbent for mercury removal”, Cellulose, 28, 8611–8628 (2021). https://doi.org/10.1007/s10570-021-04057-5
541. Tomas Rosén, Ruifu Wang, HongRui He, Chengbo Zhan, Shirish Chodankar, Benjamin S. Hsiao, “Understanding ion-induced assembly of cellulose nanofibrilllar gels through shear-free mixing and in situ scanning-SAXS”, Nanoscale Adv., 3, 4940-4951 (2021). DOI: 10.1039/D1NA00236H
542. Zongbao Wang, Mengjie Zhu, Tao Song, Xuke Li, Benjamin S Hsiao, “Shear-induced crystallization of unimodal/bimodal polyethylene at high temperatures affected by C4 short-branching”, Polymer, 233, 124203 (2021). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.polymer.2021.124203
543. Guoyin Chen, Weiming Wang, Xin Lu, Innocent Tendo Mugaanire, Yang Zhang, Yulu Ai, Kai Hou, Benjamin S Hsiao, Meifang Zhu, “Homogeneous Intercalated Graphene/Manganic Oxide Hybrid Fiber Electrode Assembly by Non-Liquid-Crystal Spinning for Wearable Energy Storage”, Journal of Materials Science & Technology, 97, 1-9 (2022). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmst.2021.04.041
Articles in Books, Encyclopedias and Reviews (2016-)
42. X. Wang, B. S. Hsiao, “Electrospun Nanofiber Membranes”, Current Opinion In Chemical Engineering 12, 62-81 (2016).
43. Zhaohui Tang, Chaoliang He, Huayu Tian, Jianxun Ding, Benjamin S. Hsiao, Benjamin Chu and Xuesi Chen, “Polymeric Nanostructured Materials for Biomedical Applications”, Progress in Polymer Science, 60, 86-128 (2016).
44. B. S. Hsiao, “Nanostructure Development in Semicrystalline Polymers by X-ray Scattering Techniques using Synchrotron Radiations”, in Mechanical Properties of Polymers relating to Nano-Structure and Morphology, 91, 27-79, CRC Press (2016).
45. Lihong Geng, Ali Naderi, Yimin Mao, Chengbo Zhan, Priyanka Sharma, Xiangfang Peng and Benjamin S. Hsiao “Rheological Properties of Jute-Based Cellulose Nanofibers under Different Ionic Conditions” in Nanocelluloses: Their Preparation, Properties, and Applications, ACS Symposium Series, Vol. 1251, Chapter 6, pp 113-132 (2017).
46. Hongyang Ma and Benjamin S. Hsiao, “Current Advances on Nanofiber Membranes for Water Purification Applications”, Filtering Media by Electrospinning (Focarete M., Gualandi C., Ramakrishna S. eds), 24-46, Springer (2018).
47. Yimin Mao, Benjamin S. Hsiao, Benjamin Chu “Static and Dynamic Light Scattering”, in Methodologies and Protocols For Nanomaterials: A Comprehensive Reference (ed. Yu Han) in a Book Series entitled "Nanoscience And Nanotechnology”, by World Scientific Publishing (Wsp) and Imperial College Press, Vol. 4, Chapter 8, 335-374, (2018).
48. Hongyang Ma and Benjamin S. Hsiao, “Electrospun Nanofibrous Membranes for Desalination”, in Current Trends and Future Developments on (Bio-) Membranes: Membrane Desalination Systems: The Next Generation, (Editors: Efrem Curcio, Inamuddin, Angelo Basile), Chapter 4, 81-104, Elsevier (2019). DOI:10.1016/B978-0-12-813551-8.00004-8
49. Hongyang Ma, Christian Burger, Benjamin Chu and Benjamin S. Hsiao, “Electrospun Nanofibers for Environmental Protection: Water Purification”, in Handbook of Fibrous Materials Vol 2 (ed. Jinlian Hu), Chapter 28, WILEY-VCH, Weinheim (2020). DOI:10.1016/B978-0-12-813551-8.00004-8
50. Priyanka R. Sharma, Sunil K. Sharma, Tom Lindström and Benjamin S. Hsiao, “Nanocellulose‐Enabled Membranes for Water Purification: Perspectives”, Advanced Sustainable Systems, 4(5), 1900114 (2020). DOI:10.1002/adsu.201900114
51. Xinwei Mao, Pejman Hadi Myavagh, Sarah Lotfikatouli, Benjamin S. Hsiao, and Harold W. Walker, “Membrane Bioreactors for Nitrogen Removal from Wastewater: A Review”, J. Environmental Engineering, 146(5), 03120002 (2020). DOI:10.1061/(ASCE)EE.1943-7870.0001682
52. Sunil K. Sharma, Priyanka R. Sharma, Hui Chen, Ken Johnson, Chengbo Zhan, Ruifu Wang and Benjamin Hsiao, “Cellulose-Supported Nanosized Zinc Oxide: Highly Efficient Bionanomaterial for Removal of Arsenic From Water”, Contaminants in Our Water: Identification and Remediation Methods, ACS Symposium Series Vol. 1352, Chapter 12, 253-267 (2020). DOI: 10.1021/bk-2020-1352.ch012
53. Priyanka R Sharma, Sunil K Sharma, William Borges, Hui Chen, Benjamin S Hsiao, “Remediation of UO22+ from Water by Nitro-Oxidized Carboxycellulose Nanofibers: Performance and Mechanism”, Contaminants in Our Water: Identification and Remediation Methods, ACS Symposium SeriesVol. 1352, Chapter 13, 269-283 (2020). DOI: 10.1021/bk-2020-1352.ch013
54. Tomas Rosén, Benjamin S. Hsiao, and L. Daniel Söderberg, “Elucidating the Opportunities and Challenges for Nanocellulose Spinning”, Adv. Mater., 2001238 (2020). DOI:10.1002/adma.202001238
55. Q. Fu, N. Verma, B. S. Hsiao, F. Medellin-Rodriguez, P. A. Beaucage, C. M. Stafford & B. M. Ocko, “X-ray Scattering Studies of Reverse Osmosis Materials”, Synchrotron Radiation News, 33(4), 40-45 (2020). https://doi.org/10.1080/08940886.2020.1784700
56. Guoyin Chen, Gang Wang, Xinrong Tan, Kai Hou, Qingshuo Meng, Peng Zhao, Shun Wang, Jiayi Zhang, Zhan Zhou, Tao Chen, Yanhua Cheng, Benjamin S Hsiao, Elsa Reichmanis, Zhu Meifang, “Integrated dynamic wet spinning of core-sheath hydrogel fibers for optical-to-brain/tissue communications”, National Science Review, nwaa209 (2020). https://doi.org/10.1093/nsr/nwaa209