Determining Business Requirements | PM011
Date: March 19, 2020
Time: 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Course Length: 1 Day (8 hours)
Course Fee: $525.00 (10% discount for PMI members)
ARE YOU A CORPORATION?
CCE offers customized corporate and industry-specific programs.
View our Program and Course Options
The Determining Business Requirements program is for anyone who participants in, or leads teams involved in developing the early business requirements. Participants learn how to create Business Case and Business Requirements documents. These documents will be used by the Business Sponsors as input to the decision of whether or not the project should proceed with the Functional Specifications. The workshop follows and reinforces the PMI (Project Management Institute) Project Scope Management and other related Knowledge Areas. Those involved with PMI and the Project Management Professional – PMP program are awarded 8 PDUs or “Contact Hours;" Code: TSE011SB-P6.
- Introduction and Course Objectives
- Project Life Cycle and Requirements Concepts
- Compiling the Business Requirements Deliverable
- The Challenge of Change
- Packaging the Business Requirement Document (BRD)
- Conclusion and Critique
Instructional methods for this course are lecture, discussion, video, detailed case study workshops and presentations. Upon request, demonstrations of Microsoft Visio™ are included as are any in-house guidelines for project life cycle, approval, funding etc.
Upon completion of the Determining Business Requirements course, each participant will be able to:
- Understand the concepts of Business Case and Business Requirements and place them within the Project Life Cycle.
- Apply a framework and toolkit for producing Business Requirements for new and/or improved products, services, and processes.
- Use Business Case and Business Requirements Templates as job aides and structures.
- Identify the potential stakeholders and roles needed within the business and the business requirements project environment.
- Work with sponsors to develop the Project’s Mission, Scope and “Critical Success Factors”.
- Understand and apply several tools for creating Business Requirements, e.g. data gathering methods, crossfunctional process mapping, use cases, cost benefit analysis, ROI, etc.
- Use tools to capture and analyze the “currentstate”.
- Identify potential problem and opportunity areas, identify disconnects and perform gap analysis to develop the business requirements of potential “endstates” (“shouldbe” states.)
- Follow a process to identify and evaluate alternative “endstate” solutions and develop recommendations and requirements of the “desiredendstates” (“shouldbe”)
- Understand and address the impact of change on the people, and how this affects the business requirements project.
Total Systems Education is renowned for working closely with clients, all over the world, to design and deliver training that exactly fits their specific needs. They don’t believe in “cookie-cutter” training! Their philosophy is that training must be current and real-world; delivering a skill-set that encompasses world-class best practices but is also immediately transferable to client’s workplace. Total Systems Education is proud to be a PMI Global Registered Education Provider. They were named the 2010 PMI “Best of the Best” Continuing Education Provider of the Year. For Business Analysts, Total Systems is also an EEP, Endorsed Education Provider, of the IIBA. These endorsements and certifications allow us to have our courses reviewed by the IIBA and PMI for relevancy, quality and adherence to the best practices supported by both of these prestigious global organizations. These certifications also allow us to award PDUs and CDUs to participants involved in the professional credentialing processes for PMP, CAPM, CBAP and the newly developed CCBA.