Professional Communication in Academia & Industry
“86% of employees and executives cite lack of collaboration or ineffective communication for workplace failures.”* This module will guide students through interactive activities that engage them in beginning to think about their communication skills in the workplace and in the classroom. Students will learn more about the types of communication, how technology affects communication, and the importance of communication in their future endeavors. Students will reflect on how they have communicated in their current workplace and courses, as well as set goals for steps that they can take to become better communicators in the future.
*Information collected from Salesforce
- Identify the importance of professional communication in both their academic and professional endeavors.
- Compare their level of communication to the examples of professional communication given.
- Formulate a plan to close the gap between their level of communication and the communication level that employers and graduate schools seek.
- Complete “Reflecting on Your Team Communication” worksheet
- Watch videos: “Career Competencies: Communication”, “How Miscommunication Happens (and How to Avoid It)” and “Email Etiquette”
- Re-write emails in “Email Etiquette” Activity
- Set goals in “Improve Your Future Communication” worksheet
Assessments and Quizzes
- Submit completed “Email Etiquette” activity
- Submit completed “Reflecting on Your Team Communication”
- Submit completed “Improve Your Future Communication” worksheet
- About 20 to 25 minutes