Self and Career Exploration
Self-exploration is an essential step in career development. If you can define your personal priorities and interests, then you can align your educational experiences with job roles and careers. Module #1 walks students through a cycle of reflection questions and quizzes leading to an action plan to guide selection of future courses, internships, and other experiences.
- Understand career development as a lifelong learning process.
- Learn about the cycle of career learning and how to increase your self and career knowledge.
- Experience the process of learning through writing/reflection, action and failure/accomplishment.
- Watch videos: Career Success Roadmap AND Career Communities & Handshake (4 min)
- Select one website and take assessment(s): CareerOneStop or Career Explorer (20 min.)
- Talk with a professional in a career field you are interested in pursuing.
Assessment Reflection Questions (10 minutes)
- Of the suggested career fields - what interests you the most? And why?
- Think about an experience you are proud of. What are 1-2 skills or knowledge did you use/gain?
- What experiences, topics, and/or issues would you like to explore beyond the classroom?
Career Action Plan Reflection Questions (10 minutes)
- Visit the job search section in Handshake. Select the top 3-5 target companies and job roles you would like to explore? What factors did you use to decide on these top companies and job roles?
- What skills/competencies do you need to work on? What’s your timeline for developing these skills/competencies.
Assessments and Quizzes
- Career Success Roadmap Quiz
- Handshake & Career Communities Quiz
About 35 to 40 minutes