Relating Majors to Careers
Myth: A student's major ties them to a specific career path. Truth: While some majors help students develop specialized skills, most people end up working in careers that are not directly related to their major. What employers really value are the career-life skills that can be developed through a variety of majors. This module focuses on how to connect majors of interest to possible career paths. We explore strategies for deciding on a major and tools to identify related careers.
- Describe the relationship between majors and careers
- Identify three strategies for exploring majors and careers of interest
- Develop a plan to explore a career area of interest
- Read the article 'Your College Major Does Not Define Your Career'
- Reflect on the 'What Can I Do With This Major?' Resource
- Complete the Major and Career Exploration Handout
- Take one action that you've identified on your Major and Career Exploration Handout
All materials can be found in the module.
- About 30 minutes