We offer a variety of ways for alumni to give back to Stony Brook. Opportunities include: being a mentor, hosting a site visit, providing a job shadow, hiring interns, supporting our undergraduate professional internship fund, or participating in our educational workshops.
Be a SBU Mentor
The CAN program connects students and recent alumni with CAN Mentors. A CAN Mentor is a professional who volunteers his or her time to network, provide advice, and provide career insight for students and recent alumni. Mentees ask questions about majors, career paths, and career experiences. This program is about making connections and sharing information – not about asking for jobs/internships.
How do I become a Mentor?
Keiko Cervantes-Ospina '04 & Lauren Fiore '16
Stephen Lee BA '82 & Jonathan Cruz '15
Write a blog entry
Students and recent alumni are curious about the realities of the world of work.
Career decisions can be challenging with inaccurate and/or incomplete information. Share your career knowledge and advice to help students in their career development! This blog is intended for SBU students and alumni to acquire career knowledge and get advice from experienced alumni working in various career fields. Click here to visit the blog.
Post a Job or Internship
The SBU Career Center uses Handshake as its premier job posting and recruiting system.
Because it saves time and money for our employers!
- 1 account- 350+ colleges/ universities! With one account, you can post your positions across dozens of schools at no charge! Handshake has over 6,000,000 students from top universities across the nation (SBU, Stanford, Michigan State, Cornell, and Princeton to name a few.)
- Manage all of your campus recruiting needs with one system – career fair registrations, requests for on-campus interviewing dates, and information sessions.
- Powerful applicant filtering with the ability to direct- message students through the system.
- Employers can search and download resumes of students who have made their accounts and documents public for recruiters to view.
and click "Sign Up for an Account."
2. When asked what type of account you would like to create, click "Employer."
3. You will receive an email confirming your account with 5-10 minutes. Click the link in the email.
4. After you've read through the introduction page, click "Continue" to connect with schools and request "Stony Brook University."
5. Continue completing your user account settings by selecting "Join Company" if your company already has a profile on Handshake. If not, follow the instructions to create a company profile.
For additional support with this process, click here.
Support our Fund
The Student Professional Development Fund was created to help undergraduate students take advantage of career-related professional development opportunities.
The number and size of the awards depend upon the number of applications, the relevance of the proposed activity to the student's career goals, and the amount of funding available. Funding is made possible by the generous gifts of parents, students, alumni, employers/industry partners and friends of Stony Brook University.
Who is eligible for a Career Center Student Professional Development Award?
- Matriculated Stony Brook undergraduates at the U2, U3, or U4 levels
- Completed at least one semester at SBU
- In good academic standing with a minimum overall GPA of 2.85
- Demonstrated financial need
- Career-related conferences, presentations, or networking events that take place off campus