Skip Navigation

Current Graduate Students Frequently Asked Questions:


When do classes start?

Academic Calendars and University Calendars are available on the registrar’s website. These calendars list important dates, deadlines, and dates classes are not in session. Please review the calendar at the beginning of every semester.

When can I register for classes?

Each student has their own enrollment date and time. You can view your enrollment appointment on SOLAR. Typically appointment dates are visible in early November for the Winter and Spring semesters, and mid-March for Summer and Fall semesters. You will not be able to enroll until your posted enrollment date and time.

Why can’t I register for any classes?

First, check to make sure you have a valid enrollment appointment. If on or after the date of your enrollment appointment, you still can’t register, verify that you do not have any holds (negative service indicators) on your record. If you have a valid enrollment appointment, and you DO NOT have any holds on your account and you still can’t register, please contact with your name, ID number, course information, and the error message you are receiving.

There is a hold on my account, what do I do?

On SOLAR’s home page, click the “hold” and/or “to do” box in the upper right hand corner. This will provide you with information on what you need to do to remove the hold. The College of Business is unable to remove any holds from your account. You must contact the appropriate department to have your hold removed.

What are the common holds?

  • Bursar – Balance due: You will not be allowed to register for classes or swap classes until your balance has been paid or you have worked out an arrangement with the Bursar’s office.
  • Financial Responsibility Hold – Each student must read and agree to the financial responsibility policy every semester. Once you agree, the hold will be removed.
  • Health Insurance Waiver – If you do not receive University Health Insurance, you must verify that you have health insurance through an alternate provider.
  • Health Services Grace Period – You are allowed to register once before submitting your health form. The system will not let you make any changes to your schedule until your health form is turned in to Student Health Services. These forms must be turned in by the first week of class, otherwise you may face de-registration.

ESL Hold – If you were admitted to the program conditionally because of your TOEFL or IELTS score, you must take and successfully pass an ESL course in your first semester at Stony Brook.

Online HR courses are showing that there are seats available, but I can’t register?

Online HR courses are offered in conjunction with a the Master’s in Human Resources offered by the School of Professional Development. Four seats are reserved for students in the MBA program. The remaining 14 are reserved for students in the other programs HR program. If there are remaining seats in the class after these students have had a chance to register, they will be opened up for MBA students to register.

Opening Dates:

  • August 1st – Fall semester
  • January 1st – Spring semester
  • May 1st – Summer terms
____ HRM 532 Foundations of HR
____ HRM 533 Employee Relations & Labor Management
____ HRM 537 Employee Learning & Professional/Career Devel
____ HRM 538 Org Development & Change Mgt (HRM 532)
____ HRM 541 Human Relations and Workforce Planning
____ HRM 545 Employment Law and Policy (HRM 533)
____ HRM 546 Job Eval, Comp Systems, & Benefits (HRM 532)
____ HRM 547 Performance Mgt in Organizations
____ HRM 548 Diversity and Global Issues in the Workplace (HRM 532 or 541)

When is my final?

Final Exams are scheduled by the Registrar’s Office. Final exam times are specifically scheduled so that there are no possible course conflicts in a student’s schedule. These exam times must be strictly followed. The exam schedules are available at the beginning of every semester on the Registrar’s website. Your final exam should also be posted in your course syllabus.

I missed the deadline to add/drop a course, is there anything I can do?

If you are not registered for at least 1 credit by the first day of classes, you will incur a late fee when you register. After the deadline to drop/withdraw/or add a course, you will need to complete a petition. If you find yourself in this situation, you should contact Joyce Gibson. She will advise you on the next step that you need to take. Petition forms can be found on the Graduate School’s website under Publications and Forms. Retroactive Add/Drop forms must be processed before the last day of the class.

I’m not planning on taking classes this semester, is there anything I need to do?

Yes, if you will not be taking classes during either the Fall or Spring semester, you will need to complete a Leave of Absence form found on the Graduate School’s website under Publications and Forms. You can take a leave of absence on one form for up to one year. You have to request a new leave of absence if your requested time is expiring and you are unable to return to the program. Failure to complete a Leave of Absence form will result in a student being on Unofficial Leave. If you were to return to the program, there is a $500 fee associated with this.

I took a Leave of Absence and now I would like to resume taking classes. Why can’t I register for classes?

Students returning from an approved Leave of Absence will need to complete a Readmission form found on the Graduate School’s website under Publications and Forms.

Can I switch programs?

You can change your degree program (Finance, Health Care Management, Marketing or General MBA), but you must stay with the credit track to which you were admitted (60, 48, or 36 credits). To change into a new credit track would require a new application to the program, and you would only be allowed to count up to 12 of your previously taken MBA credits towards the new track.

Am I a G1 or G2?

Between 0 – 24 credits, you are considered a G1 student; between 25 credits and the completion of your degree you are considered a G2 student. This standing impacts what qualifies as full time enrollment. G1 students need to be registered for a minimum of 12 credits to be considered full time; G2 students need to register for a minimum of 9 credits to be considered full time.

I’m planning to switch from Full time to Part time, is there anything I need to do?

If you are a domestic student, no, there is nothing you need to do to officially switch from full time to part time status.

F-1 students need to maintain Full Time enrollment. If for some reason you need to drop to part time status, you must consult Visa and Immigration Services as well as Joyce Gibson.

I’m on an F-1 Visa and planning to travel, how do I get a Letter of Good Standing?

To be in good standing you will need a minimum 3.0 GPA and have no incompletes on your record. You can email Joyce Gibson with the following information: Full Name, Stony Brook ID, Date of Birth, Country of Birth, Expected Date of Graduation. Joyce will complete your letter and leave a copy for you at the front desk.

I’m an International student and I would like to invite my parents to graduation, what do I need?

Invitation letters are issued through the department of Conferences and Special Events. You will need to have a Letter of Good Standing in order to complete your application for an invitation. The Letter of Good Standing is issued by Joyce Gibson.

Do I need to complete an internship?

Students in the 60 credit program are required to complete an internship. If you are in the 60 credit program, but are currently working full time, you can request an internship waiver. Students in the 48 and 36 credit tracks are not required to complete an internship.

How do I complete the internship?

Once you find an internship, there is an internship application form that needs to be completed. One requirement is to obtain the approval of a faculty sponsor to mentor you during your internship. You may ask any full time faculty member to be your sponsor; however, you should choose someone based on your area of concentration or degree program. The internship is a 0 – 1 credit course. If the internship is a paid internship, you would register for zero credits, if the internship is an un-paid for-credit internship, you would register for 1 credit. Once your internship application is complete, you will bring it to the Office of Student Services and you will be given permission to register for your faculty sponsor’s section of MBA 599. Internships should be a minimum of 150 hours.

If you are on an F-1 Visa and you will be completing your internship in the United States you will need CPT approval.

I’m trying to register for MBA 595 – Independent Study or MBA 599 – Internship and SOLAR won’t let me. What’s wrong?

Students cannot directly enroll in either MBA 595 or 599. These courses require instructor permission and work is completed independently outside of the classroom. MBA 595 is designed to accommodate independent research projects on an individual basis with faculty guidance. If you have an idea for a research project, you can contact the appropriate full time faculty for advice and project approval. Permission for MBA 599 will be given once you have found an internship and have the approval of a faculty sponsor.

How do I apply for graduation?

You can apply for graduation through SOLAR. After applying for graduation you will be sent an email notifying you to check with your department to make sure that your degree requirements have been met. You do not have to email us. We will receive the report of your application for graduation and we will send you a “Pre-Graduation Clearance” email to let you know if you have met the requirements for graduation.

Login to Edit