Skip Navigation

Graduate/Professional Students - Establishing Residency

To be eligible for resident tuition in your second year, it is important that you take steps to make New York State your documented residence as soon as you arrive in New York . These steps include transferring your driver's license and vehicle registration to the State of New York, registering to vote in the State, and changing your address on file with your bank to your New York address. You should also keep a copy of your lease (or deed) for your residence.

Your New York State residency eligibility is based on your ability to demonstrate that you have taken steps to make New York your primary residence for the past year. In accordance with this policy, it is important that you take the outlined steps to document your New York residence immediately following your arrival in the State. Failure to do so could make you ineligible for resident tuition rates in your second year.   Your documentation should be transferred to New York within 30 days of your arrival in the state to ensure eligibility.

Graduate/Professional students are expected to complete this application as an independent student. As such,  it is important that you are not claimed as a dependent on any income tax filing , and that you file income taxes as a resident of the State of New York if you are required to file. If you had worked in a state other than New York, you must file as a part year resident of that state and use your New York home address on the return.

Funded Graduate Students  In order to maintain full tuition scholarship funding, you are normally required to establish New York State residency by the start of your second year of study. Generally, all tuition scholarships are paid at the New York State resident rate for your second and subsequent years of study.

Funded graduate students are asked to complete a residency application by the beginning of their second semester of attendance. This will ensure that your tuition scholarship funding is not interrupted. At the time of your application, you should have already made New York your primary and documented residence. Your residency application will require you to submit at least 3 forms of proof of New York residence.

Students seeking information regarding DMV policy on transferring their driver's license and vehicle registration should visit exchange-out-state-driver-license and register-out-state-vehicle.

In order to remain eligble for in-state tuition, students must maintain New York as their primary domicile.

Students with questions regarding the residency process should contact the Office of Student Accounts or speak with their program coordinator.


Term Deadline Date
Fall August 17
Winter January 2
Spring January 17
Summer 1 May 21
Summer 2 July 2
Login to Edit