Budget Development Documents
The following must be provided to the Campus Budget Office no later than February 20th.
Prepare a presentation for the March budget presentations to the Budget Working Group (BWG).
- The presentation should include a three year overview of your all-funds operating budget (resources and commitments for 16/17, 17/18 and 18/19).
- The presentation should also include challenges and opportunities impacting your area.
- Include significant resource redistributions and the associated impact.
- Where applicable, include assessment metrics of performance - both financial and non-financial.
- Strategic & Financial Goals: Looking back at the last three years, how did you reallocate existing resources, improve use of fund balances, grow revenue, and reduce expenses? How has your departmental output/metrics changed within your fiscal environment? How will your area need to change in order to absorb any future unfunded salary increases? What is the institutional impact? How are you maximizing your revenue generating opportunities? Please explain any significant variances within your division's fund balances in the last three years. (These fund balances are available to you via the Financial Scorecard report in the SBU Reporting environment.)
- Personnel Costs: How does the current value of your filled lines compare to your budgeted lines? Please explain variances. How many funded positions do you have? How many of these positions are currently vacant, and when (which fiscal year) do you plan on filling them? How does this plan compare to your actual filled FTE levels for the past two years? How much of these costs are associated with the DRP repayments?
Strategic Investment: What is the most critical initiative in your area requiring new investment? How
would this investment further the institutional goals? How would you measure the return
on investment? This year, all available Central Funds dollars are being targeted to
offset a portion of the contractual salary increase costs. Consequently, we are requesting
that you self-fund strategic investments.
- Explain how these requests are linked to, and support, the University's strategic priorities.
- Contain goals and assessment metrics so future performance can be measured.
- Contain estimates of base (continuing) and fiscal (one-time) costs and revenues associated with each initiative/program.