Budget Development Documents
The following must be provided to the Campus Budget Office no later than February 20th.
Prepare a presentation for the March budget presentations to the Budget Working Group (BWG).
- Strategic Goals: List the goals specific to your area (e.g., research, academic, diversity/inclusion, clinical, administrative).
- The presentation should include a three-year overview of your all-funds operating budget (resources and commitments for 18/19, 19/20 and 20/21). Include significant resource redistributions and the associated impact.
- Personnel Costs: How does the current value of your filled lines compare to your budgeted lines? Please explain variances. How many funded positions do you have? How many of these positions are currently vacant, and when (which fiscal year) do you plan to fill them? How does this plan compare to your actual filled FTE levels for the past two years?
- Metrics: List unit-specific assessment metrics of performance (three years of actuals with targets) – both financial and non-financial. This should be tied into any requests for critical strategic investments.
- The presentation should also include challenges and opportunities impacting your area.
- Strategic Use of Current Departmental Balances: How much of your area’s cash balances are committed? What strategic investments do you plan to fund from these balances? Please list the projects and amounts. What uncommitted balances do you have and what metric do you use to assess that these are sufficient and prudent?
- Strategic Investment: Is there a critical initiative in your area where additional
funding would further the institutional goals? How would you measure the return on
- Explain how these requests are linked to, and support, the University’s strategic priorities listed on page 1.
- Include goals and assessment metrics so future performance can be measured.
- Include estimates of base (continuing) and fiscal (one-time) costs and revenues associated with each initiative/program.
- Please note that mid-year requests will be considered only on an exception basis and if funding would be fiscal. If base funding is needed, it should be requested in the subsequent budget cycle.