Campus Savings Plan
The campus has implemented a salary savings plan and an OTPS (Other Than Personal Services, i.e. supplies and equipment) savings plan. Please refer to the following FAQs for more information.
Salary Savings Plan (State & IDC Funds)
The salary savings plan was computed at the VP level using 6% of your budgeted non-instructional lines & 3% of your instructional lines. The target will need to be strategically applied within each VP area. Note that budgeted GA/TA expenses were excluded from the salary savings plan target as well as the budgeted recurring adjunct pool funding (i.e., part-time lecturers [in CBM job code 1136]). Other adjunct/lecturer budgeted positions are included in the savings target calculation.
Departments should also be mindful of the impact of any additional compensation such as overtime, base salary increases, extra service, etc., as this supplemental compensation could impact their ability to meet the salary savings plan target.
The process is as follows:
- The Budget Office will send a list of all positions budgeted in CBM along with the build-up of the salary savings target.
- The VPs will work with their units to determine which of their budgeted positions are “unfillable”.
- The VP financial leaders will budget the reduction in CBM by zeroing down the budgets for the positions that are “unfillable” lines.
- We strongly encourage VP areas to pause their recruitment activity until after they have generated their list of budgeted positions that are “unfillable".
- Once an area has an approved list of unfillable lines and is ready to resume recruitment activity, this list of unfillable lines will be shared with HRS.
a. VP financial leaders will be responsible to ensure that all of the recruitment requests are in compliance with their list of unfillable lines.
b. HRS will check that recruitment requests are not for positions designated by the VP area as “unfillable”.
Once the 17/18 form 1 allocation file posts to the SUNY financial system, many financial managers will be able to use SUNY BI to monitor their budgeted payroll to filled actuals. However, we are working with the programming team to develop new reports helpful to areas whose PSR/TS allocation is obscured by their budgeted “anticipated revenue”.
Note that although budgeted GA/TA expenses were excluded from the salary savings plan target as well as the budgeted recurring adjunct pool funding, areas are responsible to stay within their budget for these expenses. Neither should areas exceed their salary increase / extra service budget.
For State Appointment information please contact Chris Cantone-Stadier at 2-6174 or by email, Chrisoula.Cantone-Stadier@stonybrook.edu
OTPS Savings Plan (State Fund)
Tuition Sharing Plan
We are working with the Data Warehouse team in the Office of Institutional Research, Planning & Effectiveness to create tuition sharing reports to accommodate the new algorithm.
In the prior tuition sharing plan, the 70% to academic areas was distributed 7.5% to academic VP, 7.5% to deans and 55% to departments. Under this new plan effective 17/18, the distribution of the 65% within the academic areas among the VP, deans and departments is under development by the two academic VPs.