Skip Navigation

Taking classes at other schools to satisfy SBU requirements

Please check the online  Transfer Course Equivalencies Database for courses that have already been pre-evaluated by Stony Brook's Academic and Transfer Advising Services' office. 

If a course isn't listed in this database please click on the steps below:

Important Notes

Transfer credit will only be processed with an official transcript.  Upon successful completion of the course(s) with a grade of C or better, have an official transcript sent to the following address:

Academic and Transfer Advising Services
E-2360, Melville Library
Stony Brook University
Stony Brook, NY 11794-3353

  • Grades from transfer courses do not affect your Stony Brook GPA.
  • You cannot get credit twice for equivalent courses. The Academic and Transfer Advising Services' Office advises students who must repeat a course for major requirements to consult their major department before registering for the course. If credit was already received for the course, you will not receive additional credit toward graduation by repeating the course.
  • Students may transfer credits to satisfy the D.E.C. category A or SBC learning objective WRT only with approved courses completed prior to matriculation at Stony Brook. Course work taken at institutions other than Stony Brook after matriculation will not apply to DEC A or SBC WRT.
  • Upper-division credit must be earned at a four-year school.  
  • See Transfer Credit Policies in the Undergraduate Bulletin.