Skip Navigation

Grading and the Grading System 

 For complete information on Grading and the Grading System, click here

Add/ Drop Period

The add/drop period begins on the first day of classes and ends at the close of business on the tenth day of the semester. Permission requirements for individual courses are noted in the online Class Schedule. Students may drop most courses through the SOLAR System. Some courses require permission to drop. In addition, some freshman-level courses in mathematics, chemistry, and physics have an extended add/drop period, usually after students have been notified of the results of the first exam, which allows students to drop to a less advanced level course. After the tenth day of classes, students may only add a course following procedures, established by the appropriate faculty Committee on Academic Standing and Appeals (CASA), for petitioning for an exception to the deadline, described in “Petitioning for Exceptions”. Students may drop a course after the first ten class days, but full-time students (those registered for 12 or more credits) must maintain at least 12 registered credits. A “W” (withdrawal) will be recorded on the transcript. Students granted permission to make changes in registration after deadlines stated in the academic calendar will be assessed a fee.

Go to top

Auditing a Course

Auditing refers to the practice of attending a course for informational instruction only. The privilege of auditing courses is limited to matriculated students and senior citizens. Matriculated students who wish to audit a course must first obtain permission from the instructor. Senior citizens must arrange to audit courses through the School of Professional Development. An auditor does not receive academic credit for the course, nor does the University maintain any record of the auditor’s attendance in the course.

Individual instructors may establish policies for auditors in their courses. In general, auditors are expected to refrain from participating in class discussions and from turning in or asking for grading of homework, term papers, or examinations. After the end of the add/drop period, the student may not change status in a course from auditor to registered.

Go to top



Closed Courses and Courses Requiring Permission

When courses require permission or if a course is closed, students must contact the instructor or the department to request that their name and ID be added to the SOLAR system permission list for that course. Once the permission has been approved and processed, students will receive a message with the registration information on the SOLAR System and must register themselves through the SOLAR System. When a course is closed, departments may offer the option to place a student on their manual waitlist; for certain classes, the student may use an automated waitlist. Courses that offer the automated waitlist option are noted in the online Class Schedule; students wishing to register for these courses must add themselves to the waitlist for the class using the SOLAR System.

Go to top

Incomplete (I)

If circumstances beyond the student’s control inhibit the student’s ability to complete the work for a course on time, the student is responsible for informing the instructor of the circumstances immediately. At the discretion of the instructor, a temporary report of I (Incomplete) may be assigned, signifying that the student has been granted additional time to complete the requirements for the course. After granting an I, the instructor will set a date for completion of the requirements.

Students may not complete coursework for which an Incomplete was assigned by auditing or registering again for a subsequent offering of the course. If the instructor determines that circumstances merit it, the instructor may request an extension of the original Incomplete by written notification to the Registrar. Longer extensions for extraordinary reasons must be approved by petition to the appropriate academic office. If the work is not satisfactorily completed by the applicable or extended deadline, the final grade of I/F, U, or NC, as appropriate, will be assigned. The grade of I/F will be averaged as F when computing the grade point average (g.p.a.) or determining other measures of the student’s academic standing.

Go to top

Graded/Pass/No Credit (GPNC)

A student may elect to have the final grade in any course recorded on the official academic record as the grade assigned by the instructor, a P (Pass) or as NC (No Credit) if the reported letter grade is F. Neither P nor NC is calculated into the grade point average (g.p.a.). Students may elect this option through the ninth week of classes. Note: Most graduate and professional schools require that prerequisite courses be taken for a letter grade and many can interpret NC grades as being equivalent to a grade of F. Students should consult the appropriate pre-professional or departmental advisors regarding the implications of electing the GPNC option.  

Go to top

No Record (NR)

If an instructor finds that a student appears on the final grade roster for a course but has no record of that student’s ever having attended, the instructor will assign a report of NR (No Record). An NR may not be assigned for any other reason. If the student was actually in the class, the student must ask the instructor to correct the record by submitting a grade to replace the NR to the appropriate Committee on Academic Standing and Appeals. If the student was not actually in the class and receives a report of NR, the student must petition the appropriate Committee on Academic Standing and Appeals for a retroactive withdrawal from the course.

Grades of NR which have not been replaced by a final grade or by a W by the end of the ninth week of the fall semester (for spring NR grades) or by the end of the ninth week of the spring semester (for fall NR grades) will be converted to one of the following grades: N/F for letter-graded courses, N/U for courses graded A-C/U or S/U, or N/C for courses taken under the Pass/No Credit option. The grade of N/F will be treated as a failure for the purposes of academic standing and will be averaged as an F when the student’s g.p.a. is computed.

Go to top
Login to Edit