Skip Navigation

Let Us Help Plan Your Event

Our Conference and Event Services Team can provide an array for services to conference and event organizers looking to host on our campus. For more information, please complete a request form and tell us a little about your next event.

 Our Services at a Glance:

  • Event Consultation
  • Site Visits & Venue Selection
  • Venue Reservations
  • Budget Development
  • Conference Housing and Local Hotel Accommodations
  • Rentals (including audio/visual, tables, chairs, linens)
  • Catering (including food and alcohol permits)
  • Banquet Dinners
  • Registration and Guest Check-In
  • Faculty Keynote Speakers
  • Student Musicians
  • Guest Parking & Shuttle Bus Transportation
  • Giveaways
  • Excursions
  • Directional Signage
  • Day of Event Support


Event Management Tools for the Do-it-Yourselfer:

Here are a few templates and vendors to help you plan and coordinate your next event:

Event Checklist

Event Budget Worksheet

University Communications Toolkit 

Campus Printing Services (UPS)

Campus Catering

Simons Cafe

Parking & Transportation Services

Important Information for Organizing your Event at Stony Brook University: 

Policy & Procedures:

Each venue on campus has different policies and procedures for hosting events in the specific spaces. Our office will guide you through the proper University and facility policies to ensure that your event is safely managed and in compliance with all campus policies

Permits & Insurance Requirements:

External groups are required to obtain the proper short term facility use permits and revocable permits with insurance and liability waivers when deemed necessary. Our dedicated staff will work you to ensure that all the proper permits and insurance requirements and obtained within the proper time frame. 

Revocable Permits

A Revocable Permit is required for any Non-University organization seeking to use space on campus. A Revocable Permit may also be necessary for external (non-University) events sponsored by a University department. External and internally sponsored external events must file a temporary use agreement with the University which includes:

  • Revocable Permit ideally submitted to the Office of Procurement 2 months prior to the event.

  • Certificate of Insurance Liability for $3,000,000 aggregate naming each of the following as additional insured:

    • State of New York

    • State University of New York

    • State University of New York at Stony Brook

Media Permit: Video & Photographic Recordings

Should your event require filming or photography of a kind, a media permit will be required and proper approval from the Office of External Relations and the Office of Procurement will be needed.

Legally, any third party coming on to University property to film has to get permission from the University to do so, has to guarantee that waivers will be obtained from those filmed, and has to agree to indemnify the university and should have insurance to demonstrate that they can do so.

Any third party coming to the University to film will be responsible for pre-obtaining express written releases from each individual who may be filmed, recorded or photographed for the Project program and shall provide a copy of each signed release to Stony Brook, upon request.

The Office of Procurement needs to approve any media intending to record events on campus. Media includes any video/flash photography. One important note is that all media groups (including student media groups) are required to get permission from the panelists to film them, as some of the speakers may consider their presentation to be their intellectual property, thus protected by copyright.

Food Permit

Caterers other than contracted Stony Brook University dining services must obtain a food permit approved by the Department of Environmental Health and Safety. Food permits are required for all events with an attendance of more than 19 where prepared foods will be served. Food permits must be submitted at least two weeks prior to the event to the Facility Scheduler or Program Advisor. All groups must have a copy of the approved food permit at their event. Caterers must abide by Stony Brook University's exclusive contract with Pepsi Cola by using only Pepsi Cola company products where applicable.

Alcohol Permit:

If you plan to serve alcohol at your event or conference at any point, an alcohol permit & Liquor licence will be required and approved by the Office of Student Affairs.


We are proud to be a sustainable campus.  Here are a few tips to "Green Your Event"

Tips to “Green Your Next Event”

  • At least one vegetarian option.

  • Decorations and centerpieces that are reusable, compostable or can be donated.
  • Offer recycled paper, cardboard, and beverage containers.

  • Program materials available digitally or printed double sided and on at least 30% post-consumer recycled paper.
  • Nametags are reusable and recyclable.

  • Offer no bottled water.

  • Have volunteers or staff assist guests at waste collection points to ensure proper sorting of recycling and compostables.
  • Offer only consumable or green-themed giveaways.

  • Reduce the impact of promotional flyers either by eliminating them entirely or having 50% of flyers printed on one-side-clean paper, or 100% of flyers printed on 100% recycled content paper.
Login to Edit