University Environment Committee
April 29, 2011
Administration Building - VP Conference Room 2nd Floor
9:30 am – 11:00 am
Attending: John Robinson, Chair; Vice-Chair; Nick Koridis, Recording Secretary: Darren Chase, Matt Aiello-Lammens, John Sparano, Andrew Greco, Paula Di Pasquale-Alverez and Robert Aller,
Excused: Nancy Balkon, John Murray, Anne Doherty, Gary Mar, Eric Lamberg, Gilbert Hanson, John Shandra and Paul Siegel,
Staff: Amy Provenzano
Guests: Barbara Chernow and Gary E. Bie
Meeting called to order by: John Robinson 9:35 AM
1 - Introductions – John Robinson passed around the agenda and Nick passed around the sign-in sheet. There were introductions of all the attendees.
2- Review of the Minutes – There was a motion to approve the minutes from the March 18, 2011 meeting although there weren’t enough voting members to have a quorum. This will be addressed at the next meeting.
- Special Guest –Barbara Chernow introduced the newly appointed Hospital CFO Gary E. Bie.
- Discussion from the agenda handed out.
- Barbara Chernow gave a presentation highlighting the Facilities Master Plan. The Master Plan was created to support the academic and research goals, enrollment projections and environmental stewardship principles of the University.
- John Robinson requested low impact issues for planting of grass for the campus
- Robert Aller pointed out wooded areas and if there was a way to keep uniqueness of design with buildings and natural areas.
- CFO Gary Bie asked how many students are on campus. There are ~22,000 which ~9200 live on campus.
- There are 3700 proposed new parking spots in the future on the preferred parking plan.
- Collective bargaining agreements for parking on campus determine the rate charged to employees to use the existing garages. People would appreciate parking garages since it would minimize land use but would cost more.
- John Robinson pointed out that building new parking garages would increase the rate that employees would need to pay for parking.
- Matt asked about where the dollars come from. Capital funds are used to build garages and parking revenue is used to pay the debt service for the bonds.
- John R spoke about updates with issues regarding a native plants initiative.
- John Sparano pointed out that North American mixture grass exists on campus. There are LEED points and work in progress to cut twice a year.
- Small plots to be planted as soon as possible. Andrew suggested small signs to be posted for what the plants are and why the lawn is not cut weekly like a regular lawn.
- Matt asked if there would be funding from plants that are already grown rather than from seeds.
- Amy Provenzano brought up specific areas for safety at south campus walkway, Campus Planning, Design and Construction (CPDC) to map out engineering issues that minimize the impact on roads, trees and buildings. A meeting to be set for Monday at 1 pm 120 endeavor hall south campus. Andrew and Robert spoke about walkways and discussion pursued on car access along with pedestrian access.
- Robert Aller asked who the representatives on the master plan are for the committee with faculty, students and staff. John R has to write an annual report and Amy will look into it and get back to Robert.
- Paula also mentioned that the senate will ask for a master plan that addresses the environment.
- John Robinson’s voiced a concern as to whether the recommendations of the master plan would be abandoned over time or with a change in the Administration.
John R posed a question about our next meeting and full committee for July.
OTHER: Meeting adjourned 10:55am
The next meeting is scheduled in the VP Administration Conference Room on the second floor on Friday, TBD.