University Environment Committee
Tuesday, January 15, 2013
Administration Building - VP Conference Room 2nd Floor
1:30 pm – 3:00 pm
Attending: Chair; John Murray Vice-Chair; Paul Siegel, Recording Secretary; Nick Koridis: John Robinson, Regina Lento,
Excused: Darren Chase, Eric Lamberg, Dimitri Tsybychev, Paula Di Pasquale-Alverez, Alexandra Santiago, Gary Mar, Teri Tiso, and John Shandra,
Staff: James O’Connor, Gary Kaczmarczyk; Executive Director of Environmental Health and Safety, Barbara Chernow, Senior Vice President Office of the Administration
Guests: Hanna Nekvasil and Nancy Franklin
Meeting called to order: 1:33
Introductions – Agenda and sign-in sheet passed around.
Review of the Minutes – Motion to approve the minutes, Paul Siegel and seconded by John Robinson.
Motion approved to allow Hanna and Nancy to speak with the committee.
Policies for Animals on Campus Update
- Gary discussed the proposed policy and briefly explained the scope of discussion.
- Hanna was introduced to the committee and was given an opportunity to comment to speak about the policy for clarification on the NYS Laws.
- Articles passed around the room such as the NYCRR Definition of Terms. The proposed Revisions to the draft policy had been discussed and edits were discussed.
- It was mentioned that other universities have difference policies for animals on campus. .
- The discussion on other policies was identified as Disability Support Services within their group that deals with disabilities and HIPAA.
- It was identified that there was a recent injury due to an animal which is a concern for the safety of our students, faculty and staff. Paul brought up a few concerns dealing with complaints, injuries and religion to have animals in the building or on campus.
- A recommendation for defining the wording should be passed by Legal Counsel.
- Nancy was introduced to the committee and shared with some history of the cat network. The cat network started in 2002 on campus. Nancy is a faculty advisor and has handled many issues among the campus. Nancy indicated her stepping down from the cat network and is looking for a student to take over responsibilities.
- Administration expressed their concerns about safety and wants to keep the student club funded in support of this mission. The club must comply about raising money for this mission.
- There are feeding stations that are in the process of being moved away from areas adjacent to building entrances and walkways which have been an issue.
- An agreement to work together was discussed to comply with new policies with the students.
- Hanna quoted some requirements for ADA Service Animals as well as the ADA and NYS Attorney General’s Office.
North Entrance Landscaping Update:
No new Updates
Paul announced there were trees knocked down on the trail and have identified what would need to be removed for safety concerns accessing the pathways.
Recording Secretary – Minutes ended 2:35 pm
The next meeting is scheduled in the VP Administration Conference Room on the second floor, date TBD