University Environment Committee
Tuesday, October 2, 2012
Administration Building - VP Conference Room 2nd Floor
1:30 pm – 3:00 pm
Attending: Chair; John Murray Vice-Chair; Paul Siegel, Recording Secretary; Nick Koridis: John Robinson, Paula Di Pasquale-Alverez, Gary Mar, Teri Tiso, Regina Lento and Alexandra Santiago
Excused: Darren Chase, and, Eric Lamberg, John Shandra, and Dimitri Tsybychev
Staff: John Sparano and James O’Connor
Guests: Gary Kaczmarczyk; Executive Director of Environmental Health and Safety and Barbara Chernow; Senior Vice President of Administration
Meeting called to order: 1:35
Introductions – Agenda and sign-in sheet passed around.
Review of the Minutes – Motion to approve the minutes, Paul Siegel and 2nd by John Robinson
Traffic Issues for Large Campus Events:
1. Discussion on traffic control at large events.
2. Traffic backed up at exits at i.e. Football games that create excessive traffic jams
3. Traffic studies have been done in the past
4. SCPW installed fiber optic cabling on Nichols Road in 2011 to control signals remotely
Policies for Animals On Campus
Draft Policy for Animals on Campus
Gary Kaczmarczyk, Executive Director of Environmental Health & Safety provided a PowerPoint presentation highlighting reasons for a campus policy.
North Entrance Landscaping Update:
1. Jim O’Connor spoke about the north entrance landscaping and that it requires very limited maintenance and irrigation.
2. Two photos were passed around to show the committee the new signage and plantings.
3. An inquiry was made of the type of seed mix that was used.
4. Suggestions were welcomed for other options for new locations possibly at the R&D Park.
5. A point made about the summer heat that the timing is important to prep the native species to grow without invasive wild flowers taking over.
6. This is a Segway to search other locations on Campus to show the successes accomplished with the Administration.
Recording Secretary – Minutes ended 2:20pm
The next meeting is scheduled in the VP Administration Conference Room on the second floor, date TBD