Minutes of the Meeting of the Undergraduate Council
August 31, 2010
Present: Cynthia Dietz, Donna Di Donato, Arlene Feldman, Sarah Fuller, Rick Gatteau, Jeff Ge, Kane Gillespie, Cheryl Hamilton, Roy Lacey, Anne Moyer, Joe Mitchell, Beverly Rivera, Scott Sutherland
Election of Chair
Scott Sutherland is re-elected chair of the committee by acclamation. No other candidate has come forward.
Open Positions for Faculty Members on the Committee
The committee has an open position for a faculty member from Humanities. A few names have been suggested and Scott will follow it up. There is a suggestion that Jian Cao may have resigned his position. If this is the case, there will be another open position for a faculty member from the Medical Sciences.
Suggestions of Topics for Discussion
- An outstanding issue surrounding undergraduate TAs;
- There is a concern that a MS student may be asked to teach a full course without much training and/or supervision. This becomes more of an issue with newly created five-year program for combined Baccalaureate and Masters degree. Budget pressure may be a contributing factor as well.
- Kane proposed to discuss issues related to undergraduate bulletin at the next meeting after interacting with various stakeholders.
- An update is needed for approved programs that offer courses at local high schools (ACE program).
- Follow up on subcommittee work on GenEd.
- There was an extended discussion on the issue that enrollment demand has outstripped the capacity for course offering. This problem is particularly acute for the first-year student. This summer orientation has been the worst in the past 20 years. The discussion touched upon the planning issue, policy issues, software tools for mapping demand to resources, and whether this is an issue that UGC could do anything about. There is a strategic planning committee on “Student Experience” co-chaired by Joe M. that deals with some of the same issues raised.
- It is noted that this issue will be brought up with Charlie Robins, the newly appointed vice provost for undergraduate education, who has indicated that he would like to meet with UGC.
- Approval of a new policy on retaking a course
Submitted by Jeff Ge