Graduate Council Minutes
February 21, 2007
Open as pdf
Attendees: Charles Taber (Political Science and Chair), Estie Arkin (Applied Mathematics and Statistics), Debra Caffrey (Graduate School), Beverly Campbell (Pharmacology), Allegra DeLaurentiis (Philosophy), Peter Gergen (Graduate School), Godlind Johnson (Library), Celia Marshik (English), Anne McElroy (MSRC), Brian Phillips (Geosciences), IV Ramakrishnan (Computer Science), Arleen Steckel (Nursing School)
Absent Members: Andrei Antonenko (GSO), Kent Marks (Graduate School), Lawrence Martin (Dean, Graduate School), Susan O’Leary (Psychology), Marcia Simon (Dental School),
The meeting was called to order at 8:50 a.m. by the Graduate Council Chair, Charles Taber.
Approval of minutes
The minutes from the February 7, 2007 meeting were approved with minor revisions.
- Africana Studies: Charles reported that the department has made progress on their proposal revisions, but have not re-submitted anything yet.
- Invitation for Provost: Dr. Robert McGrath will attend the March 7, 2007 meeting of the Graduate Council.
- GSEU: It was reported that Labor Relations has confirmed that the Graduate Council is not permitted to intervene in contractual issues involving the GSEU.
- Academic Reviews: Several members of the Graduate Council volunteered to participate in the History and Philosophy Academic Reviews taking place in March and April. It was clarified that the basic task is to examine the department’s self-study document, focusing on graduate education. Charles discussed ways in which to expedite the review process.
- Ethics Task Force: As mentioned at the last meeting, members of the Task Force still need to be identified and invited to participate. Peter volunteered to chair the team.
- TA Lines: Some departments have received notice that allocations for TAs have gone down for the coming academic year. The delay in notifying departments of these allocations is causing a rather urgent problem. It was determined that Peter will meet with Barbara Byrne, Assistant Dean of Finance in the Graduate School to determine the cause of the delay.
No report given (the Dean was unable to attend the meeting).
Meeting adjourned at 9:40 a.m.
Submitted by Debra Caffrey
Staff Assistant, The Graduate School