CAPRA MEETING NOTES
February 18, 2011
ATTENDING: Norm Goodman, Bill Godfrey, Darren Chase, Jackie Collier, Ben Hayashi, Gene Katz, Larry WittIe, Michael Chiarello;
GUEST: Provost Eric Kaler
Provost Kaler reported on SUNY/ SBU budget cuts. Cumulative budget cuts to SBU over the past two years and the current year are approx. a $63 million loss, or -20% budget allocations. SUNY was counting on a 5% tuition increase to help defray those cuts, but the Governor did not include the increase in his State Budget. The latest cuts leave SBU in a funding crises “$9.5 million worse than we expected.”
- Approx. 44% reduction of total State allocations for SBU and related.
- Provost Kaler does not expect the State Legislature to provide remuneration of funds to the SUNY budget.
- Loss of $55 million in State support for SBU Medical Center and Hospital (100% of support)
- The Academic Side at SBU has been protected in previous rounds of budget counts. It cannot be protected during this current round.
- Cuts to Academic Side = $14 million in Provostial
- “Personnel will be cut, faculty will be cut.”
- Programs will likely be eliminated. Criteria will be developed to help determine whether programs should be eliminated, including:
- Centrality to SBU Higher Ed mission
- the cost/benefit of the program
- Student Demand
- Excellence and National/International recognition
- Future of Program(s)
- SBU Administration is in the process of developing a response to the budget cuts
- Bain Report will suggest efficiencies of scale, and savings in a number of areas
- “No decisions have been made in terms of cutting across the board.”
Notes by Darren Chase