October 19, 2007
Open as pdf
- Meeting commenced at 2:30 pm. Introductions were made and meeting minutes from the October 5, 2007 meeting were approved.
- Mary La Corte volunteered to be the “secretary” for this particular meeting.
- A call for subcommittees was proposed by co-chairs Bill and Norman to get a clear understanding so that resource allocation recommendations can be made.
- There is some murkiness in the reporting structure for programs and deans, i.e., SoMAS, The School of Journalism, Athletics etc.
- According to Jane Yahil the Policy of the SUNY Board of Trustees dictates that all academic programs report to the Provost.
- Alan Tucker mentioned that the President’s office funds many start up programs
- Viability of the Business School-Susan stated that she is the librarian for the Business School. Bill ran through some historical information, we currently have an Acting Dean who is a former student. The school has had a tumultuous history. Norm clarified that we need to be brought up to date on what resources it gets and what resources are needed to sustain it.
- Master’s Programs, how are thy approved? Alan pointed out that they are reviewed by the Graduate Council. Irene noted that departments are not always receiving funding that is sufficient to keep the programs up and running. The group concluded that tuition revenues are not being returned to the Master’s programs thereby inhibiting their growth and viability.
- Does Southampton Campus have its own funding source? How are they vetting their operation? What role is the dept on this campus taking in hiring decisions? Will faculty always be lecturers or will there be tenure track lines? Is there a wall between SB and SBSH or is the money used to hire SBSH going to detract from hiring on this campus? Is the tech fee being used for what it is allocated for?
- We defined our role as looking for transparency in the decision making process of allocation distribution.
- Bill and Norm requested that they group tell them by Tuesday, October 23, 2007 what subcommittee groups that they will be volunteering for.
- The meeting adjourned at 3:30 p.m.