University Senate
Campus Environment Committee
January 22, 2009
VP Administration Conference Room
3:00 – 4:30 pm

Attending: Gil Hanson, Chair; Vice Chair, John Robinson:   Fred Walter, John Murray, Catherine Horgan,  Dylan Selterman, Mary Hotaling, Paul Siegel, Jonathan Mandel, Amandeep Pahar.

Excused: Nick Koridis, Wendy Fidao, Dorothy Shannon Schiff, Krupa Gohil, Muriel Weyl, Kristen Nyitray, and Kathleen Weber
 
Staff: Amy Provenzano

Guests: Malcolm Bowman

Meeting called to order by: Gil Hanson 3:04 PM

  • Introductions – G. Hanson - Introductions were made of all attendees.
  • Review of the Minutes – A motion to approve minutes as amended. Approved with minor change noted.
  • Status Reports

Announcement:
Unfortunately our dear friend Mary Hotaling has accepted a position outside the University and this is her last meeting. We all thank her for her support in this committee and wish her well in her new endeavor. We will miss her.

1.         Environmental Master Plan – Amy Provenzano

  • Amy reported that Barbara Chernow has received approval from the State University Construction Fund to proceed with a master plan for the main Stony Brook campus. This master plan will include an environmental piece.
  • Paul Siegel requested that the CEC be represented on the master planning committee. Amy to confirm.
  • Further details on the project will be given as it moves forward. Next anticipated update is this summer.

2.         East Campus Environment Committee – Catherine Horgan

  • Catherine Horgan is the co- chair with Maureen O’Leary and acknowledged they will have their first meeting on February 10 at noon.
  • There is an extensive list of items to bring up, which may be in place.
  • An invitation was extended to members of this committee collectively.
  • Amy has been asked to present current Stony Brook efforts at the first meeting.
  • The agenda will be set next week.
  • A suggestion was made to hold one combined meeting of both committees once per semester.

2.         Developments at the Research and Development Park – Amy Provenzano

  • Nothing to report at this time.

3.         Status of Hotel

  • Nothing to report at this time.

4.         Campus Sustainability Task Force/Recycling – Amy Provenzano

  • Amy will be travelling to DC the third week of February to talk with Senator Schumer and Congressman Bishop about the Transportation Bill funding request.
  • The Sustainability Task Force will be issuing newsletters 10 times per year with the first one to be issued in February. The intent is to raise awareness on SBU’s sustainability efforts.
  • We held another move-out program at the end of the fall semester and collected over 1800 pounds of material – this is 6 times what was collected during the same period last year!
  • The first meeting of the Campus Energy Task Force will be held on 1/23/08. Amy to report progress at next meeting.
  • Amy requested changing the section heading to “Campus Sustainability” and she will report on all areas at each meeting.

5.         Smoking Policy Sub-committee – Gil Hanson

  • The policy was presented to UUP, PEF and CSEA on 1/13/09. Minor language change was requested. Labor Relations to revise.
  • The unions were in general agreement with the policy as presented.
  • Once language is changed and approved, it will be presented back to Cabinet for final approval.

6.         University Safety Committee – Mary Hotaling

  • There has been no activity of this committee in months.

7.          Parking and Transportation Subcommittee – Paul Siegel

  • The committee met with Barbara Chernow, Terence Harrigan and Jim O’Connor.
  • Paul commented positively on cooperation and transparency in the meeting.
  • The committee was given information on parking data and will come back to Barbara with recommendations.
  • Some initiatives under consideration include:
    • Installing GPS on the buses to tell when the next one is due to arrive.
    • Installing card swipes on the buses to gauge ridership.
  • Some initiatives that are in process include:
    • There are new buses in the fleet, which run on low-sulfur diesel.
    • Transportation is having one bus converted to run on vegetable oil.
    • The remaining buses run on B5.
  • The committee received information on the costs of lots – 4K per space for surface and 30K per space for garages.
  • A request was made for bike lockers at the Tabler F&S lot.
  • Paul will continue to report on progress.

8.         Friends of Ashley Schiff – Malcolm Bowman

  • Malcolm reported that the committee continues to meet routinely.
  • The 40-year anniversary of Ashley Schiff’s death is in October and they are planning an event around it.
  • They are putting together a petition campaign to urge Dr. Kenny to make this area a true, registered nature preserve.
  • They have already inventoried the flora and will be inventorying the fauna shortly.

OTHER:

  • Gil mentioned an upcoming series on nuclear power -http://www.geo.sunysb.edu/our-environment/
  • A suggestion was made to fill the newly created vacancy of Mary Hotaling with Maureen O’Leary.

4:15 pm meeting adjourned.

The next meeting will be Monday February 9 at 2:30 PM at the Office of the VP in the Administration Building.