Campus Environment Committee
February 9, 2009
VP Administration Conference Room
2:30 – 4:30 pm

Attending: Gil Hanson, Chair; John Robinson, Vice Chair; Nick Koridis, Recording Secretary: Fred Walter, John Murray, Julia Link, Dylan Selterman, Paul Siegel, Jonathan Mandel, Amandeep Pahar.

Excused: Wendy Fidao, Dorothy Shannon Schiff, Krupa Gohil, Muriel Weyl, Catherine Horgan, Mary Hotaling, and Kathleen Weber
 
Staff: Amy Provenzano

Guests: Malcolm Bowman

Meeting called to order by: Gil Hanson 2:35 PM

  • Introductions – G. Hanson - Introductions were made of all attendees.
  • Review of the Minutes – A motion to approve minutes approved by Paul and seconded John
  • Status Reports

1.         Environmental Master Plan – Amy Provenzano

  • Awaiting approval to have representatives from the campus environment committee participate in the campus master plan.
  • Representatives’ should include one student, one faculty and one staff. Amy will keep the committee informed.
  • A discussion about details of how to incorporate members and how we can establish environmental issues was raised.

2.         East Campus Environment Committee – Catherine Horgan

  • Nothing to report at this time.

3.         Developments at the Research and Development Park – Amy Provenzano

  • The first LIPA rebate was received for approximately $5,000 for energy efficient equipment installations at Building 17 at the R&D Park.
  • A special thank you to Peter Krumdieck who worked tirelessly on this project.
  • The solar panels installed on Building 17 had no affect on the rebate.

4.         Status of Hotel

  • Nothing to report at this time.

5.         Campus Sustainability Task Force/Recycling – Amy Provenzano

  • The first meeting for the Energy Task Force was held. The first meeting concentrated on our use and how was benchmark against other institutions. This committee agreed to meet every two weeks.
  • Some students raised issues that the residence halls in winter are inefficient as students keep windows open to keep them cool. Amy mentioned the FIXIT sire on the web to report issues and that there is a new Campus Residences Director – John Sparano.
  • The Sustainability Task Force’s first Newsletter is in final draft for review. It is expected to be released within the next week or so.
  • Amy stated that she is going to Washington DC on 2/18 to meet with representatives from Schumer’s, Hildenbrand’s and Bishop’s offices on the Transportation Bill projects.

6.         Smoking Policy Sub-committee – Gil Hanson

  • Amy stated the revised language for the policy was sent to the unions for review. Waiting for confirmation back that the slight change is acceptable.
  • Building entrances and HVAC air vents must be 25’ feet to comply with LEED.

7.         University Safety Committee – Paul Siegel

  • Amy spoke with George Meyer and the committee will be reconvened.
  • Paul mentioned there was a tremendous amount of work in a short amount of time to work on the details and produce a report by June.

8.          Parking and Transportation Subcommittee – Paul Siegel

  • Meeting will take place to focus on tasks for this semester and to design a research study that looks at usage in the old math lot.

9.         Friends of Ashley Schiff – Malcolm Bowman

  • Paul was working on bylaws and a petition has been created and is being circulated.
  • A presentation was made to the environmental club and a DVD about the Preserve was shown to the students. The DVD, titled Stand was created by Amy Jensen, the 2008 Friends of Ashley Schiff Park Preserve scholarship awardee.
  • October 9, 2009 Malcolm announced the 40th anniversary to re-dedicate the park. They would like to have the dedication on the anniversary.
  • They would like to make it a forever wild park to allow students to utilize the preserve for classes.
  • Will work on a fauna study and survey in March.

OTHER:

  • Malcolm spoke about the DEC and Lake Brianna. Fresh water wetland and recharge basins.
        • Protection against modifications, living fish and wild life refuge.
        • Malcolm asked for status and Amy briefly discussed some concerns as a wetland and recharge basin.
        • Discussion on recharge basin as shown on campus map on screen.
        • Gil inquired whether it is worth pursuing to keep it accessible.
        • Malcolm to bring letter next month about wetland.
  • Agenda for next meeting to view DVD on the Ashley Schiff Preserve. 
  • Motion to adjourn was approved by all.

4:15 pm meeting adjourned.

The next meeting will be Monday March 9, at 2:30 pm at the Office of the VP in the Administration Building.