Revised
Campus Environment Committee
October 21, 2008
VP Administration Conference Room
3:30 – 5:00 pm

Attending: Gil Hanson, Chair; Nick Koridis, Recording Secretary; Mary Hotaling, Fred Walter, Paul Siegel, John Murray, John Robinson, Catherine Horgan, Geeta Maleickal, Dylan Selterman, Julia Link, Jonathan Mandel, and Amandeep Pahar.

Excused: Wendy Fidao, Dorothy Shannon Schiff, Krupa Gohil, Muriel Weyl, Ramona Walls, Vice Chair; Kristen Nyitray, and Kathleen Weber
 
Staff: Amy Provenzano

Guests: Malcolm Bowman,

Meeting called to order by: Gil Hanson at 3:30 PM (ended at 4:45 PM)

  • Introductions – G. Hanson

Introductions were made of all attendees. There were no meeting minutes for September. Nick passed around a copy of the final minutes for August 2008 minutes.

  • Review of the Minutes – Paul suggested we acknowledge the minutes of August 2008 should reflect that Dr. Richard Mann should be recognized as the former VP of Admin. Minutes were accepted and approved.
  • Status Reports

1.         Environmental Master Plan – Amy Provenzano

  • The University will complete the master plans for R&D and Southampton before completing one for main campus.
  • Capital projects, including the master plans, may be affected by the State budget crisis. Currently the campus only has received approval to move forward with their #1 priority which is the Recreation Center.
  • The Manhattan campus is not included as part of the master plan at this time.

2.         Developments at the Research and Development Park – Amy Provenzano

  • CEWIT is mostly complete; the IT piece is near completion and now awaiting occupancy.
  • AERTC is in progress and built by campus lets projects. AERTC is from outside funding and not state.
  • A question was raised about how AERTC was funded? AERTC was funded through a $35 million appropriation from the NYS Legislature.
  • Procurement is ready to move in building 17.
  • Malcolm inquired about traffic control at Stony Brook Road and suggested a roundabout. He asked whether a traffic light was being planned. Amy to report back next meeting.

3.         Status of Hotel

  • Hotel status still maintains the same, no agreement with developers at this time.
  • A question was raised as to when the ground lease will expire for the 11.5 acres. Amy will report back next meeting.
  • Another question was raised as the impact on campus traffic. The entrance will be from Circle Road, not the main entrance roadway.
  •  Malcolm suggested demolishing the existing Student Union in lieu of current location.
  • A request was made to reflect the past minutes in reference to the opposition of the entrance/hotel site.

4.         Campus Sustainability Task Force/Recycling – Amy Provenzano

  • The campus has a program called Freewheels where students collect bicycles that left on campus in disrepair. They repair them in the Student Union Basement and distribute them for free to students who need to get around on campus. This program is successful and has been used at other universities.
  • Gil mentioned number of student bikes have been trashed and vandalized as this committee should review safe places on campus to store bikes.
  • The committee discussed that suggestions are needed to come up with a bike storage facility in campus buildings or resident halls. Nick showed a picture of a bike rack system from Syracuse University Campus. The bike rack systems use less of a footprint and are lockable in a vertical position.
  • The committee also discussed needing to open dialogue with the LIRR for bike/pedestrian overpass to connect bike paths connected to the train trestle.
  • It was decided that these items would be addressed in the transportation subcommittee.
  • Amy said she will present the completed campus greenhouse gas inventory at the next meeting.
  • Campus dining has changed to containers that are bio-degradable with a few exceptions.
  • Behind Roth café, there is a composter which will be implemented once opened.
  • The Move out program was a success with over 17k lbs of clothing, non perishable food, sneakers, electronics, etc. collected at the end of the spring semester. Many items were made available to students at the start of the fall semester for free.
  • Amy is putting together an energy conservation task force. She is looking for participation from students, faculty and staff. Malcolm as well as others offered to attend.
  • The cost for utilities is estimated at 1 million dollars a week for the campus.

5.         Smoking Policy Sub-committee – Gil Hanson

  • Nothing to report at this time.

6.         University Safety Committee – Mary Hotaling

  • The report was finished in June and published on-line; Dr. Kenny’s website for safety.
  • Topics and issues for students and other potential weapons.
  • A question was asked who was responsible for writing policy.
  • Gil asked is we should keep it on the agenda.
  • Donna Buehler of EAP was chair of the committee which is a standing committee.
  • Amy said Dr. Kenny initiated a lab safety committee and she is the administrator of that committee. Catherine asked for a list of members, which was provided after the meeting.

7.          Parking and Transportation Subcommittee – Ramona Walls

  • Paul spoke on behalf of Ramona as she is part of this committee.
  • Parking lots were a concern which Paul spoke about.
  • Dylan Selterman acknowledged some of the issues.
  • John Robinson would like to review bus concerns as Paul will take charge.
  • A few members expressed an interest to participate in this committee.

8.         Friends of Ashley Schiff

  • Paul announced a scholarship that was awarded to Amy Jenson. There is a dvd called “stand” which promotes Ashley Schiff.
  • It explains the details about the preserve and is available on the library server.
  • The will come up with a management plan for the preserve similar to Cornell.
  • Plant survey was performed by students on site. They may have discovered an endangered species in the preserve.
  • Ashley Schiff died 39 yrs ago. The preserve was never granted on campus for ever wild status.

OTHER

  • Gil discussed the mission for the committee for the new members.
  • Gil also expressed to the committee that he would like to step down as Committee Chair and if anyone else was interested in taking over the position.
  • Paul said he would chair the subcommittee as Fred will be on it.
  • Gil will be willing to chair the committee for another year.
  • A new vice chair as John Robinson.
  • Gill will continue for one year and a motion was approved unanimously that Gil become a member in full standing of this committee.
  • This will go to the executive committee.

Plans for the coming year

  • Question of future topics for the next agenda items.
  • Come back and speak with other colleagues that are the main environmental topics on campus such as transportation, finance, saving energy, water management, etc.
  • John Robinson (co-chair)
  • Meeting time, third Tuesday in November 18, 3:30 pm in the Administration Building, Office of the VP.

4:45 pm meeting adjourned.