Living on Campus
We offer outstanding academic programs, a thriving research environment, hundreds of clubs and activities, and a dynamic first-year experience in one of six small undergraduate communities. Living on campus puts you at the center of everything SB has to offer.
- Our six traditional quads and undergraduate apartments are within easy walking distance of the Academic Mall.
- All rooms come furnished with an extra-long twin bed, desk, chair, dresser, and bookcase for each resident, have high-speed access to the Internet, and are equipped with state-of-the-art phone systems featuring conference calling and call forwarding. A cable access connection in each room provides Cablevision’s® premium service (currently offering HBO1 and 2).
- All rooms offer high-speed Internet access. Each quad also has its own state-of-the-art computing center open seven days a week.
- Each quad has its own fitness center featuring Nautilus and Cybex equipment. Some fitness centers offer aerobics classes, and all are staffed by trained students who can provide assistance.
- Our diverse staff includes Quad Directors, Residence Hall Directors, and administrative offices within each quad. Each Residence Hall is supervised by a full-time, live-in professional Residence Hall Director who is available daily for guidance on academic and interpersonal issues.
- The University bus system provides free service seven days a week around campus and to a major indoor mall.
Our Housing Guarantee*
On-campus living is a very popular option at Stony Brook. In order to offer as many students as possible the experience of our residential learning environment, strategies that include assigning three students to a double room and other temporary housing will be utilized.
- Freshmen: New freshmen who will be at least 17 years old by Move-In Day of their first semester are guaranteed campus housing, provided the tuition/housing deposit is received and their new student preferences are submitted online by May 1 for the fall semester and December 15 for the spring semester. Those submitting their deposit and new student preferences after these deadlines will be accommodated on a space-available basis.
- Transfers: All new transfers who pay their tuition/housing deposit and submit their new student preferences will be assigned campus housing on a space-available basis. Eligibility will depend upon the timely receipt of both the tuition/housing deposit and new student preferences, as well as the actual availability of space. New transfers we are unable to offer on-campus housing will receive assistance with locating housing through the services of our off-campus housing office.
Note: Because our supervisory capacity is not geared toward the accommodation of those under the age of consent, students who will be under the age of 17 are not normally eligible for campus housing. Such students may contact Mr. Alan deVries, Associate Director of Residential Programs for Administration and Services, at 631-632-6966 or Alan.Devries@stonybrook.edu to request special consideration for campus housing.
*Students in good standing who enter the University as freshmen and successfully complete all required room selection processes are guaranteed eight semesters of campus housing (six semesters of housing for those entering as transfers).