The Arts at SB
Whether you play a musical instrument, act, dance, or just enjoy watching from the audience, you'll find many opportunities to enjoy the arts.
- The Staller Center offers a wealth of professional performances by popular artists from around the world. All new students can receive a free ticket to a performance of their choice.
- Each semester our musical ensembles hold open auditions. Have acting experience? Take part in one of our theatrical productions! The University Art Gallery, Online Art Gallery, and the Student Activities Center Art Gallery provide forums for students with talents in the visual arts to showcase their works.
- Our Center for Dance, Movement and Somatic Learning houses a dance minor that examines the practice and study of movement and dance.
- Participate in artistic festivals held on our campus throughout the year. As part of its annual Celebration of Undergraduate Research & Creativity, our Office of Undergraduate Research & Creative Activities (URECA) sponsors an Undergraduate Art Exhibition and an Undergraduate Music Celebration.
- One of the world’s foremost chamber ensembles and winner of seven Grammy Awards, the Emerson String Quartet has been in residence at Stony Brook since 2002. The Quartet joined Stony Brook's Music Department to coach in the chamber music program, give master classes, and provide instrumental instruction to Stony Brook students.
- Stony Brook offers many courses that examine the historical, sociological, and cultural implications of the arts. Take a course in our Art Department on Electronic Media, or a course in our Music Department on the History of Jazz, or a course in our Theatre Department on European Theatre and Drama!