Stony Brook University offers an integrated eight-year program for students interested in attending dental school following their undergraduate degree. The Scholars for Dental Medicine program (SFDM) offers selected students in the Honors College an opportunity to complete a combined Bachelor’s/DDS course of study while participating in pre-dental school classes and activities. Students accepted into the program are reserved a seat in Stony Brook University’s School of Dental Medicine upon graduation provided they complete all applicable program requirements.
Scholars for Dental Medicine requirements:
- Complete their Honors College program of study
- Complete all required pre-dental courses at Stony Brook
- Maintain a minimum 3.5 overall GPA & 3.4 science GPA
- Successfully complete the DAT with a score at or above the national average for that test year
- Complete at least 100 hours of shadowing/observation in a dental setting
- Participate in community service
- Participate in research activities at the Dental School
Scholars for Dental Medicine program applicants are notified in March whether they have been recommended for review by the School of Dental Medicine Admissions Committee. If recommended for review, applicants are then notified, usually within two weeks, if they will be offered an interview. Final decisions are typically made prior to April 1.
Minimum Requirements for Consideration: GPA of 95 (or 3.8), and a combined SAT Math and Critical Reading score of 1350 or higher (the ACT will not be used as a substitute for the SAT). Candidates must also have documentation of U.S. citizenship or permanent residency in the United States.
Note: Student may ONLY apply for one of the following: Scholars for Medicine, Engineering Scholars for Medicine, or Scholars for Dental Medicine.