Stony Brook University Logo
international admissions





Where do I mail my documentation?
All items must be sent to:

Stony Brook University
UG Processing - INTL
279 Broadway
Albany, NY 12204-2755

Please be sure to include your full name, date of birth, and home address on all correspondence.

back to top

Which application do I use to apply?
You are strongly encouraged to apply online using the Common Application; please read all instructions on the Application Procedures webpage.

What if I already applied using the SUNY Application?
Do not fill out a new Common Application or pay an additional fee! The application fee is not refundable, so do not pay it twice. Do not send SUNY Financial forms (FSA 2, 3, 4); we cannot accept these forms for admission or to issue an I-20.

back to top

Can I apply for conditional admission?
No, applicants may not apply for conditional admission. An applicant, however, may be offered admission with conditions stipulated.

back to top

How do I contact International Admissions staff?
Phone: (631) 632-6868, Monday - Friday, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. EST (14:00-21:00 GMT)
Fax: (631) 632-9898
Skype: enrollintl

back to top

When is the application deadline for international students?

Freshman Applicants:

Spring: November 1
Recommend applying by October 1 to allow sufficient time for I-20 processing.

Fall: January 15
Please provide all supporting documents by March 1; February 1 for honors programs. 

Transfer Applicants:

Spring: November 1
Recommend applying by October 1 to allow sufficient time for I-20 processing.

Fall: March 1

back to top

Does Stony Brook offer financial aid to international students?
Stony Brook offers a limited number of scholarships to international freshmen. International students must be self-supported and must prove the ability to cover expenses for their entire period of study.

back to top

Where will I be living if I attend Stony Brook?
International students are strongly encouraged to live on-campus.

back to top

How do I get my I-20?
Your Form I-20 (Certificate of Eligibility for Non-Immigrant F-1 Student Status) will not be issued until you have been admitted to Stony Brook University, have paid the required tuition deposit, and have requested an I-20 through accessVIS (which requires that you show acceptable proof of support for your first year of study). Students already attending a school in the U.S. (high school or college) must be released from SEVIS by their advisor and submit the International Transfer Report.

back to top

What are the requirements for admission?
Click here to view Stony Brook's Admissions Criteria.

back to top

Do I have to take the SAT exam?
The SAT examination is not required for international students who have attended high school/college outside of the United States, but is required for international students who have attended high school within the United States. International students wishing to be considered for Merit Scholarships are required to have taken the SAT exam.

back to top

Do I have to take the TOEFL exam?
All applicants must prove their English proficiency. The TOEFL (Test Of English as a Foreign Language) examination must be taken by anyone whose native language is not English, even if you have attended high school in the United States. Transfer students who have completed a college level writing course at a U.S. college or university and have received a grade C or better DO NOT have to take the TOEFL exam. ESL courses DO NOT meet this requirement.

We require a minimum composite score of 213 (computer-based) or 550 (paper-based) on the TOEFL exam or a minimum SAT Critical Reading score of 430. For the IB TOEFL, we require a minimum score of 80, and for the IELTS, a score of 6.5 or higher is required. Satisfactory completion of Stony Brook's Intensive English Center program at the advanced level with a grade of B or better will be accepted in place of a TOEFL score.

back to top

Do I need to send official transcripts and do they have to be translated?
Complete and official academic transcripts are required for all secondary and post-secondary institutions you have attended. Failure to provide academic transcripts of all previous academic studies can be viewed as misrepresentation of your background and could jeopardize your application. If your transcripts are not in English, they must be accompanied by an exactly worded and certified translation.

You must list every college/university that you have attended on your application and submit all transcripts before you can be accepted to Stony Brook University. Students who do not notify us that they have attended a college or university will not be able to transfer those credits when the semester begins.

back to top

Navigation Menu

enrollment info for freshman enrollment info for freshman why sb vip italian japanese korean portuguese russian spanish french german arabic chinese hindi greek