Bus Safety Rules
In order to ensure the safety and comfort of bus riders, pedestrians and motorists, it is important to follow these simple rules.
- Wait in an orderly line for the bus
- Don't knock on the driver's door or chase the bus. Please wait for the next bus
- Please respect the bus and bus stops
- Don't run to board the bus
- Enter from the front door only
- Let passengers exit before you board the bus
- Hold children's hands when you board and exit the bus
- Board the bus when it has fully stopped
- Standees must remain behind the white safety line
- Please use headphones on the bus
- No smoking, eating or drinking on the bus
- Please keep the aisles free
- Use the stop bell before you reach your stop
- Stand clear until the bus leaves and cross at the nearest crosswalk
- Look carefully in all directions before you cross
- Use caution when approaching a stopped bus from either direction
- You must always stop for flashing red lights even on the divided roads and multilane roadways
- Stay on the sidewalk until the bus leaves the bus stop
- Wait until a bus pulls out of an intersection before crossing the street
Help For Special Problems
- If something happens at the bus stop that makes you feel unsafe, tell the driver or call the University Police at (631) 632-3333.
- Report any unsafe road conditions or problems with pedestrian walkways (light outages, potholes etc.) to (631) 632-6400.
- Lost Items
- Call (631) 632-6418 for any items left on the bus.
ADA Accessible Service
To help you have a safe and comfortable ride, it will be helpful if you:
- Tell the driver if you would like assistance
- Board the hydraulic platform in outboard position (back towards bus)
- Center the wheelchair on the hydraulic platform and apply the brakes
- Let the driver make sure that the wheelchair is secured properly
- Let the driver operate the lift gate manually if there is a power failure