Preventive Maintenance Inspection (PMI)
Our preventive maintenance scheduling is designed to provide the Automotive Repair Facility the opportunity to give all campus vehicles a periodic safety and operational inspection and to apply industry standard regiments of servicing. Scheduling frequency may vary according to the projected use of the vehicle. Most scheduling is based on a six month rotation coinciding with the annual New York State Inspection and the six month anniversary between. Those vehicles deemed to undergo heavier than normal usage of those that are more likely to be used off-campus are usually scheduled for a three month rotation. Notification of impending PMI and/or State Inspection dates are sent out to each department accordingly.
This service is not to be confused with the simple LOF (Lube, Oil and Filter) service.
This service includes the inspection of the following and the servicing, repair or replacement of component parts or systems as appropriate.
- Oil and filter change.
- Service all other fluids as appropriate and check for abnormal appearances (color) of antifreeze, transmission fluid, brake fluid, etc.
- Complete lubrication as per manufacturer's specifications.
- Inspect electrical system. Includes battery testing, connections, wiring condition, lighting, instrument panel, etc.
- Inspect windshield wipers and all glass.
- Inspect brake system and components.
- Inspect exhaust system, vehicle flooring integrity and all under vehicle components such as the transmission, differential, transfer cases, etc..
- Inspect front end, steering, and complete suspension system.
- Inspect all engine compartment components such as belts, hoses, wiring, lines, sensors, etc..
- Inspect cooling system.
- Inspect tires, adjust inflation, determine alignment quality by assessing wear patterns.
- Assess general vehicle operation through a road test.
The Automotive Repair Facility is a fully authorized Enhanced State Emissions and Safety Inspection Station under the aegis of the applicable laws of the State of New York and under the direction of the New York State Department of Motor Vehicles. All automotive repair personnel are certified New York State Motor Vehicle Inspectors.