Current Stony Brook Students
Fulfilling Degree Requirements at Other Institutions:
It is not necessary to obtain prior approval for courses that have been pre-evaluated by Stony Brook's Transfer Office. The Transfer Office currently has available online pre-evaluated course equivalencies for Suffolk County Community College, Nassau Community College, and Farmingdale State. Most courses from the below schools have been pre-evaluated and course equivalencies are available in Stony Brook's Transfer Office, 134 Administration Building.
- College of Staten Island
- Fashion Institute of Technology
- Kingsborough Community College
- Nassau Community College
- Queens College
- Queensborough Community College
- Rockland Community College
- Suffolk County Community College
- University at Albany
- Farmingdale State
- Westchester Community College
For Courses from all other Regionally Accredited Institutions:
- Select a course (or courses) at a regionally accredited institution. To check if a school is regionally accredited, see a transfer advisor in the Undergraduate Transfer Office in 134 Administration.
- Obtain a catalog from the transfer institution with course descriptions.
- If the course is for elective credit or for the completion of a DEC category, come to the Undergraduate Transfer Office in 134 Administration for approval.
- If the course is for major or upper-division credit, come to the Undergraduate Transfer Office for a Transfer Evaluation Form; then have the corresponding Stony Brook Department evaluate the course for equivalency. You will need a copy of the course description from the school's catalog where you plan to attend. A course syllabus may also be required.
Note: The upper-division writing requirement must be completed at Stony Brook.
- Return the white and yellow copies to the Transfer Office; your major department should keep the pink copy, and the gold copy is for your own records.
- Transfer credit will only be processed with an official transcript! Upon successful completion of the course(s) with a grade of C or better, have an official transcript sent to the following address:
Undergraduate Transfer Office
134 Administration Building
Stony Brook University
Stony Brook, NY 11794-1909
- Grades from transfer courses do not affect your Stony Brook GPA.
- You cannot get credit twice for equivalent courses. The Undergraduate Transfer Office advises students who must repeat a course for major requirements to consult their major department before registering for the course. If credit was already received for the course, you will not receive additional credit toward graduation by repeating the course.
- DEC A may not be satisfied by transfer after matriculation at Stony Brook.
- Upper-division credit must be earned at a four- year school.
- See Transfer Credit Policies in the Undergraduate Bulletin.