Stony Brook President Shirley Strum Kenny Signs Climate Commitment
Friday, September 14, 2007
On September 14, 2007, President Shirley Strum Kenny signed the American College and University Presidents' Climate Commitment. With this commitment, Stony Brook joins universities and colleges across the country who have decided to become leaders and role models in social, economic, and technological efforts to reverse global warming.
The Climate Commitment pledges that Stony Brook will eliminate greenhouse gas emissions over time by:
- Completing a greenhouse emissions inventory.
- Setting a target date and interim milestones for becoming climate neutral.
- Taking immediate steps to reduce greenhouse gas emissions.
- Integrating sustainability into the Stony Brook educational experience.
- Making the action plan, inventory and progress reports publicly available.
This commitment is the next step in Stony Brook's environmental sustainability efforts on all campuses and ties into our new Southampton "Renewable Campus" that focuses on all aspects of sustainability in every part of its curriculum and operation.
For more information about this important pledge, please visit www.presidentsclimatecommitment.org.