Summer Online Classes
Each summer, Stony Brook offers a wide variety of online classes that provide current and visiting students opportunities to continue their studies utilizing virtual classroom technologies (typically Blackboard). Connecting via the Internet, students receive instruction, discuss issues with their instructors and classmates, submit assignments, and actively participate in their classes.
Summer 2014 Online Offerings:
|Session I||Session I||May 27 - July 5, 2014|
|Session II||Session II||July 7 - August 16, 2014|
|Extended Session I||Extended Session I||May 27 - July 17, 2014|
WHAT IS REQUIRED TO BE A SUCCESSFUL ONLINE STUDENT?
Online learning requires a unique combination of skills to succeed academically, and students must be extremely motivated and disciplined:
1. An online student must be willing to commit approximately 15-20 hours a week to each 3-credit online class.
2. Online students must feel comfortable expressing themselves in writing, as some classes consist solely of the written word. Students respond to questions posed by the instructor, as well as other students, through postings which are written; they submit homework assignments, papers and exams that are written; they chat with each other in "lounge" areas, making connections and exchanging ideas.
3. Online students must be comfortable with their computers. They must have knowledge of word processing software and email, know how to download a program from the web and install it, and in some courses, know how to upload items from the PC to the web or have other technical expertise. Course descriptions will note if students are required to have a higher level of computer ability.
WHAT ARE THE TECHNICAL REQUIREMENTS?
The following list details a minimum recommended computer set-up:
- PC with Windows XP, Vista, 7 or 8, or Macintosh with OS 10.4 or newer
- Latest version of Chrome, Firefox or Explorer; Mac users may use Chrome, Firefox or Safari. (A complete list of supported browsers and operating systems can be found on the Blackboard website )
- 2 GB RAM
- Cable modem, DSL or 56.6 Kbps modem
- Internet Service Provider
- Word processing software (Microsoft Word, Pages, etc.)
- Speakers (either internal or external) or headphones
- Ability to download and install free software applications and plug-ins (note: you must have administrator access to install applications and plug-ins)
If you are having problems with your home computer or Internet Service Provider, you are responsible for finding a solution.