Financial Aid programs available for Summer Sessions
Federal Stafford Loan Subsidized
Federal Stafford Loan Unsubsidized
PLUS Loan (Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students)
Tuition Assistance Program (TAP)
Federal Work Study
Summer Eligibility Requirements
Only matriculated Stony Brook students may receive summer financial aid awards. Visiting students should check with the institution they attend during the academic year. Applicants for TAP, Stafford Loans, and PLUS Loans must enroll in summer session classes for a minimum of six (6) units. Undergraduate Federal Work Study applicants must be enrolled. Advanced graduate students engaged in full-time research must enroll in the appropriate course.
Since TAP, Pell Grant, and the Stafford Loan programs have award limits which may not be exceeded, applicants should check with the Office of Student Financial Services to understand how summer awards may affect future eligibility.
Awards that have been accepted but have not yet been disbursed to your University account are considered “anticipated aid.” Award estimates, stipends, Work-Study, and student reported awards are not recorded as anticipated aid. In addition, anticipated aid that is not disbursed after a period of time will expire and will no longer be taken into account against any outstanding University charges. Please note that if your aid has expired, it can still be disbursed to your account once the disbursement hold is resolved. To avoid potential late fees and registration blocks, it is important to promptly follow up on all required documents.
Summer Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) for Matriculated Undergraduate Students
Students may be eligible to receive TAP to assist with tuition costs associated with summer study.
Eligibility Requirements to receive summer TAP include:
- You must have received your first TAP award in the 2006-2007 academic year or thereafter.
- You must have been enrolled full time in the prior spring term.
- You must have earned a combined total of 24 credits in the prior two semesters; these credits must have been earned at Stony Brook University (transfer credits do not apply).
- You must meet all of the Satisfactory Academic Progress Guidelines as defined by NY State Higher Education Services
- You must have not exhausted your TAP eligibility
- Undergraduate students are eligible to receive 8 full time TAP awards
- Students enrolled in the Educational Opportunity Program are eligible to receive 10 full time TAP awards.