Home > Outgoing Students > Travel Essentials
All participants in overseas programs WILL need a valid passport. 

While it is not required for you to have a passport at the time of application submission, if you are nominated to a program, you WILL NEED to obtain a passport prior to departure.

If you are a citizen of the United States of America,
click here for more information on applying for or renewing a passport. Please be adivsed that the passport application process takes up to  several weeks.

International Exchange/Long-Term Programs:
If you are traveling abroad, it is likely that you will need a visa.  Click here to see information specific to the country where you will be studying.

Study Abroad/Short-Term Programs:
It is most likely that you will only need a visa if you are NOT a United States citizen.  Please see the Study Abroad Advisor for more information.  In the event that all students on a particular program will need visas (for example, groups traveling to China, Madagascar, Russia, or Tanzania) the Program Director will assist you in completing the necessary paperwork.

  • The US Department of State issues Travel Warnings to describe long-term, protracted conditions that make a country dangerous or unstable. A Travel Warning is also issued when the U.S. Government's ability to assist American citizens is constrained due to the closure of an embassy or consulate or because of a drawdown of its staff. Click here for a list of these countries.
  • SBU’s Office of International Academic Programs mandates that all participants have adequate international health insurance through our provider, HTH Worldwide.

Home | SB Home | SB Admissions | Prospective Students | Dept. of State's Message | Clery Report | Contact Us

Lasted updated on 04-Aug-2010 10:00 AM EST