Student Success Series
Bookmark this page as we will be adding new events as the term progresses. Participating in a webinar? Read these access instructions. Contact Kim Giacalone at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 631-632-7896 with questions or program suggestions.
New Student Orientation Webinars — MALS, HRM, Educational Leadership and AGC Programs
Starting your program in the Spring term? Be sure to sign up for one of our upcoming webinars.
- The Master of Arts in Liberal Studies orientation webinar will be held on Thursday, December 4 at 4 pm Eastern.
- The Human Resource Management orientation webinars will be held on Thursday, December 4 at 6 pm Eastern.
- The Advanced Graduate Certificate orientation (for all 18-21 credit AGCs except HRM and HEA) will be held on Tuesday, December 2 at 4 pm Eastern. »Register
- The Educational Leadership Program and School District Leadership orientation webinar will be held on Thursday, November 20 at 4 pm Eastern. »Recording and PowerPoint (PDF)
Online Learning Orientation Webinar
Tuesday, January 20 at 12 noon Eastern.
What does it take to succeed as an online student? Join us for an informative webinar to find out!
HEA Study Abroad to Italy: Information Session
Wednesday, November 12; 12 pm online; 4 pm on-campus
A link to the webinar recording will be available on November 19.
»Watch a recording of the webinar
»Details on HEA Study Abroad Program
HEA Career Development Workshops Registration
This series of workshops will provide you with career related advice and help equip you with the tools needed to successfully gain employment or help advance your career.
- Conducting an Effective Job Search & Networking, October 2. »Details
- Building a Strong Resume & Cover Letter, October 23. »Details
- Strengthening Your Interviewing Skills, November 6. »Details
- Pursuing Doctoral Studies, November 18. »Details
Careers in Higher Education Conference
Friday, November 7, 9:30 am to 3:00pm Student Activities Center.
Now in its fourth year, this free conference offers informative workshops and networking opportunities.
From EDL to EdD: St. John's Information Session
Monday, October 6; 6:30 to 8 pm. N-119 Social and Behavioral Sciences Building
Educational Leadership students and alumni can find out how they may apply their SBU credits to St. John's EdD program.
»Details on the program
Phi Delta Kappa Event: "The Future of Education on Long Island"
Tuesday, October 14, 6 pm. Humanities 2001
A panel discussion featuring New York State legislators Assemblyman Steve Englebright and Senator John J. Flanagan.
»Details and Registration
New Student Orientation, Online Learning and Research Webinars
New to SPD? We offer several orientation webinars for new students. If you missed the webinar when it was offered, please click on the links below to review the PowerPoint and watch the recorded session.
All SPD students—new and returning—are encouraged to participate in the following webinars hosted by the University librarians.
- Research Skills for HEA Students was held on August 7. »Webinar recording
- Research Skills for SPD Students will be held on September 23. »
- Citation Skills for HEA Students was held on August 14. »Webinar recording and PowerPoint (pdf)
- Citation Skills for SPD Students will be held on September 16. »
Phi Delta Kappa Friends of Education Award Dinner
Friday, June 13 at 6 pm EST. Wang Center
Details and photos»
Online Learning Orientation Webinars - Online via SB Connect at https://meeting.sinc.stonybrook.edu/spd/
- Tuesday, May 20 at 6 pm Eastern
- Wednesday, May 21 at 12:30 pm Eastern
Did you miss it? Watch a recording and download the PowerPoint (PDF).
NYSED Licensure Exams: Do public/private partnerships produce reliable assessments?
Wednesday, April 23 at 4 pm Eastern • Online via SB Connect
Join Dr. Craig Markson, Assistant Dean for SPD’s Teachers Professional Development Institute, for a presentation of his research on the (mis)alignment among the exams, the standards and the curriculum that prepares K-12 candidates for leadership. Dr. Markson is the co-author of “Holding the Test Maker Accountable: The ISLLC Standards and the New York State School Building Leader Licensure Assessments” (Long Island Education Review, Fall 2013).
For those who want to review the webinar or were unable to attend, we are pleased to provide links to the video recording, the PowerPoint presentation (PDF) and the journal article (PDF) referenced in the presentation.
The New NYS School Building Leader Examination Wednesday, March 19 at 4 pm Eastern | Webinar via SB Connect
Are you planning to take the New York State School Building Leader examination in the near future? You should know that the test has changed significantly. Join Educational Leadership faculty Dr. Kenneth Forman and Dr. Terrance O'Connor for an informative webinar as they explain what you need to know about the new tests.
For those who want to review the webinar or for those who were unable to attend, we are pleased to provide a link to the video recording as well as the PowerPoint presentation.