Started with SPD Online
If you have registered for an online
course, here is what you need to do before the semester begins.
1. Read through the FAQs to make sure you understand how SPD Online courses work.
2. Make sure that the SOLAR
System has your updated e-mail address. We
need this address so we can send you necessary information. Be sure to check off the "Preferred" box in SOLAR next to the e-mail address you would like to use. Also, if your e-mail program is running
a spam blocker filter, be sure to add "stonybrook.edu" and
"sunysb.edu" to your list of approved addresses.
3. CHECK BLACKBOArd for course information 10 DAYS prior to the start of the term. Ten days prior to the start of the term (occasionally earlier) all of the online courses will be made available in Blackboard.
You will need to go into SOLAR and set up your NetID password to use Blackboard. Specific directions can be found by clicking on the appropriate link below:
4. BE PREPARED TO LOG IN PRIOR
TO THE START OF CLASS. Once the courses are available, log on
to Blackboard immediately. Blackboard contains a "course"
called SPD Online Support that contains tutorials and a pre-semester
checklist that must be completed prior to the first day of class.
- Technical Questions (signing into or using Blackboard, SOLAR, e-mail, etc.): Contact the Teaching, Learning and Technology Helpdesk at 631.632.9602 or via e-mail.
- Enrollment and Course Availability Questions: Call SPD Online at 631.632.9484 or send us an email.
- Course Content Questions: Contact your instructor either via e-mail or from within your Blackboard course.