Information for New Online Students
All of the information contained on this page is important, so please read through it carefully. It may seem lengthy, but we've tried to make it as succinct as possible. Here's what you need to know to get started:
I. SOLAR and Your NetID
Your NetID is an identifier that you can use to access the University's online resources, which includes Blackboard. So, your Blackboard username is your NetID and your Blackboard password is your NetID password. Your NetID information is maintained in SOLAR. Log into SOLAR and click the "NetID Maintenance" link at the top under Security and Personal Data" to set or change your password.
In the NetID Maintenance Section you'll find:
- Your NetID is supplied for you (look on the right side of the screen). It is a combination of your first intial and last name.
- Your NetID password is something that you need to create. Instructions for changing your NetID password can be found on the Division of Information Technology website.
II. Blackboard and Your Online Course
Your online course is conducted via Blackboard, an online course management system. If you are a PC user, we strongly suggest you use Firefox or the latest version of Internet Explorer as your web browser to access Blackboard. If you are a Mac user, you should use Safari or Firefox.
To access your course and prepare for the coming term, please do the following:
Step 1: Type the following URL in the address or location field in your web browser:
http://blackboard.stonybrook.edu. You can bookmark this page for easy access.
Step 2: Enter your (NetID) username and (NetID) password in the appropriate fields. Be advised that both of these fields are case-sensitive. If you are using a public computer, do not store the password for future use.
Step 3: Click on the “My Institution” tab and verify your email address in “Personal Information” under the “TOOLS” menu. This is your Stony Brook University email address, which is the one your instructor will use to contact you, if necessary. Access Google Apps at http://www.stonybrook.edu/mycloud. Read Google Apps FAQs at http://it.stonybrook.edu/help/kb/by-category/3039.
Step 4: Visit "SPD Online Support" in Blackboard. Listed under "My Courses," SPD Online Support is an online orientation site. Here you will find a mandatory pre-semester checklist, Blackboard tutorials, technical assistance, and important administrative information.
Step 5: Check into your course(s) and read your syllabus. You should take steps to procure your books prior to the start of class. Also, be sure to post an introduction in the Discussion Board on or before the first day of class.
- Blackboard Tutorials: Blackboard on demand hosts short videos that demonstrate how to use the various features of your course.
- Technical Questions (signing into or using Blackboard, SOLAR, email, etc.): During regular business hours,
contact SPD Online via email. SUNY Learning Network (After-Hours Support)
M-Th, 5 pm to 9 pm Eastern
Saturday, 10 am to 5 pm Eastern
Sunday, 1 pm to 9 pm Eastern
email@example.com or 1-800-875-6269
- Enrollment and Course Availability Questions: Send us an email.
- Course Content Questions: Contact your instructor either via email or from within your Blackboard course.