Higher Education Administration

Frequently Asked Questions

What are the important academic dates and deadlines?
Students are expected to adhere to the SPD academic calendar of dates and deadlines.
What are my responsibilities as a student?
Students are expected to maintain at least a B (3.0) average. Given the rigor of the coursework, students should expect to spend 10-15 hours per week on each course, including reading and writing assignments. Students are expected to know and adhere to American Psychological Association (APA) guidelines in their written work.

Students are responsible for reviewing, understanding, and adhering to their degree and/or certificate program requirements. All SPD students are responsible for reviewing, understanding, and complying with University and SPD regulations, policies, and procedures, as described in all official publications, the University website, and the SPD website, including, but not limited to, SPD's online references, the SPD Student Handbook, and SPD Academic Calendar.

How long do I have to complete the program?
All master's degree requirements must be completed within five years from the semester date of admission as a matriculated student. All advanced graduate certificate requirements must be completed within three years from the semester date of admission as a matriculated student. If the certificate program is taken in collaboration with a graduate degree program, then the student has five years to complete the certificate.
Does Stony Brook accept transfer credit?
Yes, provided that the courses meet the requirements outlined on our admissions page.
How do I register for classes?
Each student that is admitted and accepts that offer of admission is assigned an individual enrollment appointment by the Registrar's Office—a specific date and time when a student can begin registering. Enrollment appointments are posted to each student's SOLAR account approximately one week prior to the start of advance registration each term. For best class selection, students should enroll as soon as their enrollment appointment begins. All enrollment, adds, drops, withdrawals, swaps, etc. are done online via SOLAR. Students can access SOLAR and login with their Stony Brook ID number and password.
What are the graduate housing options?
Stony Brook offers on-campus housing for graduate students. For more information, visit the Division of Campus Residences website. Off-campus housing options and information are available from the Faculty-Student Association.
How can I find out about emergency notifications or school delays and closings?
We recommend that students sign up to receive emergency notifications from Stony Brook via SB ALERT (click for details). Students can also call (631) 632-SNOW (7669) or check the Stony Brook homepage for updates on class cancellations due to weather or other emergency.


Login to Edit