Application Information for the Advanced Graduate Certificate Program
For admission to graduate study, the following are required:
- Personal Statement. Please attach a personal statement of 750-1000 words that is your own original work
and addresses the following:
- What is your purpose in pursuing a Master of Arts or Advanced Graduate Certificate in Higher Education Administration (HEA)?
- Why do you wish to be a part of the HEA program at Stony Brook University?
- How have you prepared yourself for a career in higher education? (Include any relevant undergraduate, graduate, or professional experience.)
- Specifically, how will the HEA degree/certificate assist you in advancing both your professional and personal goals?
- Describe your research and study interests and any other aspects of your background, skills, or qualifications that would aid the Admissions Committee in evaluating your motivation for graduate study.
- If you have earned less than the 3.0 minimum GPA and are seeking conditional admission, please address your prior academic performance.
- Essay. Please attach an essay of 750-1000 words that is your own original work and addresses the following question: What are three critical issues facing colleges and universities today? Your essay should reflect high quality writing skills and demonstrate your ability to pursue graduate-level work. The Admissions Committee will review your essay on the basis of content, sentence structure, organization, critical thinking, and analysis. You may consult and include outside resources in your essay, but if you do, you must include citations in the text in APA format as well as a reference page with the author's name, year of publication, and title of publication.
- Resume. Upload a resume that includes degree(s) awarded, employment history, and past/current leadership, volunteer, or other relevant involvement and experience.
- Official transcript. Transcript must indicate conferral of a bachelor's (or master's) degree (minimum 3.0 cumulative grade point average).
- Two letters of recommendation. Letters of recommendation should be from teachers or professors with whom you have studied. Letters from professionals in fields of work related to the area of specialty you wish to pursue are also appropriate.
- In those cases where the departmental admissions committee deems it desirable, personal interviews with departmental representatives may be requested.
International Students/Language Requirements
There are additional requirements for international applicants or those for whom English is not their primary language. » View details.
Stony Brook University/SUNY is an affirmative action, equal opportunity educator and employer. Effective January 1, 2016, Stony Brook University will become 100 percent tobacco-free.
How to Apply
Applications, letters of recommendation, personal statements, any other required materials and a nonrefundable $100 application fee are submitted online through Apply Yourself. Official transcripts may be sent electronically from the institution to the School of Professional Development or may be mailed to the address listed below. Students who take courses on campus will also be required to submit an immunization form to Student Health Services. Visit theStudent Health Services Web site for more information.
- For Summer/Fall admission, the application deadline is March 15.
- For Spring admission, the application deadline is October 1.
- International applicants have different deadlines and may apply for Fall and Spring admission only. Before applying, review details at http://www.stonybrook.edu/spd/graduate/international.html.
N 201 Social and Behavioral Sciences Building
Stony Brook University
Stony Brook, NY 11794-4310
Tel. (631) 632-7378